Thursday, November 12, 2015

Autumn Leaves are Brown

...And My Skirt Is On Point--Thursday, 11/12/15

This blogger is wearing a skirt that is reminiscent of the early fall and its golden leaves.

From tealandpolkadots.blogspot.com

But the glorious fall color is mostly past us.  Now the leaves are falling off the trees, turning brown, and doing all those other things that signify the coming of colder weather.  So what could be more appropriate than a brown leaf skirt and tall boots?


Brown crinkly button up shirt (thrifted, Kohls), $1.33/wear+
Brown leaf skirt (thrifted, Talbots), $0.83/wear
Brown tights, $3.84/wear
Tall brown boots by Fitzwell, $10.50/wear
Gold tassel necklace (Kohls), $1.82/wear

Outfit total: $18.32/wear

I haven't had this necklace very long but I've already worn it 9 times during the Work the Wardrobe Challenge.  It's definitely working its way toward MVP status.


So, OK, the leaves on my skirt are actually beige, orange, and bright pink.  It's the background that's brown.  I just had to put that out there in the event one of you started feeling that I'm trying to mislead you.  However, I maintain that this skirt is a serious contender for Most Fall-Leaf-Like Skirt in the World.  

In other news...It is seriously no longer summer.  I've been wearing a lightweight coat the last 3 days.  Yesterday I was wearing the long black coat that I call my Professor McGonagall costume.  It was rainy all afternoon so at the last minute, with my purse already over the coat, I decided to button it up...which was fine except around my hips, it was so tight that the fabric gaped open between the buttons!  I knew I'd gained a little weight on our trip to Texas but that was kind of depressing.  When I got home, I took off my purse etc. and tried it again in front of the mirror...and of course it buttoned just fine.  I guess with the purse in the way, it was hanging at a weird angle or I tried buttoning it in a misaligned way or something.  It was a relief that I hadn't actually outgrown my coat!  Since I hadn't worn it since last fall, I'd forgotten whether it started out pretty snug or what, so I didn't immediately twig that the problem was user error.  But if I'd only remembered how it fit me almost exactly two years ago, I would have realized that I couldn't have gained that much weight without noticing. 

It reminded me of that storyline in Glee when Marley, the very skinny brown-haired girl whose mom is the fat woman who works in the school cafeteria, is being gas-lighted by one of the bitch cheerleaders who is jealous of her.  The cheerleader is sneaking into the costume section at night and sewing Marley's costume tighter and tighter each night, and Marley starts freaking out that she's gaining weight....somehow not realizing how odd it is that only her costume is tighter and not the skinny jeans etc. that she's wearing.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

The other blogger's outfit goes better with these song lyrics:
"All the leaves are brown
And the sky is grey."
Assuming you have a very broad definition for "brown" that includes a very golden brown.

I like you idea of assigning MVP status to things. Fun!

Sally said...

Debbie, very true, she could have dressed with that song in mind.