Thursday, November 19, 2015

That Cold North Wind

And All the New Things--Thursday, 11/19/15

I've been wanting a blue denim jacket for a while, but it's exactly the kind of thing that is almost impossible to find at the thrift store.  So I ordered one at JCP last week.  It was a wrinkly thing, but shaped up after I assaulted it with a hot iron for a while.  (I mean, seriously, wrinkly denim?  This was new to me.)

I didn't want to wait to wear it, so I grabbed this nice inspiration photo and got to work.

From nicoletothenines.com

I moved the grey in the handbag to tights and tall boots and boom.  Done.  Ready for a high of 35 F and strong winds.


Grey leopard long-sleeved T (Apt 9/Kohls), $2.00/wear+
Red corduroy skirt (thrifted, H and M), $0.83/wear+
*Blue denim jacket (Liz Claiborne/JCP), $32.29/wear+
*Red/silver pendant (JCP), $15.37/wear+
Grey tights
Tall grey boots by LifeStride, $14.28/wear

Outfit total: $64.77/wear

I also wore another of my new necklaces.  I've enjoyed my gold tassel and owl pendants so much that I wanted to add a few other long necklaces to my collection.  This one was spot on (or on spots or something).


In other news...Why do students drop out of college? "Given current levels of academic preparation in secondary schools, many students are not prepared for success at four-year, and even two-year colleges."

A data point from the paper cited in the article that aligns with other research I've read on who successfully completes college:  85% of the students who successfully graduate from a four-year college made mostly As and Bs in high school.  Four-year college graduates had an average overall high school GPA of 3.28.

The article further notes, "Finally, we conclude that had four year college drop-outs begun their postsecondary careers at a two-year college, their predicted probabilities of postsecondary degree completion would be significantly higher. While most of this increase in degree completion comes through increased associate’s degree attainment, about a third of four-year college drop-outs would have a higher chance of bachelor’s degree completion, had they begun college at a two-year institution."

No comments: