Saturday, November 21, 2015

Saturday in Wonderland

Your Hair Wants Cutting--Saturday, 11/22/15

Yet another inspiration photo from Bridgette Raes.  She is just too good!

From bridgetteraes.com

For the longest time I didn't have a grey pullover sweater, but even now that I do, rather than replicate this outfit, I used the basic pink + grey + bootcut jeans formula as an excuse to get this cardigan into the Work the Wardrobe Challenge and to wear my Alice T again.  (Because almost every pregnancy update photo I've seen of my sister has her wearing this style of Skechers, I'm also enjoying the opportunity to twin her from a distance.  I can't do a thing to make her pregnancy easier but I stand in sartorial solidarity.)


Pink and grey striped cardigan (thrifted, Kohls), $1.67/wear+
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, Target), $0.45/wear
Alice in Wonderland T (Out of Print), $3.83/wear
Light pink scarf (Walmart), $0.83/wear
Grey Skechers

Outfit total: $6.78/wear

In other news...I was waffling a bit about getting my hair cut today, but after putting on this shirt, I knew it had to happen.  After all, this is the mad tea party scene in which Alice meets the Mad Hatter for the first time, and they have the following exchange:

'Your hair wants cutting,' said the Hatter. He had been looking at Alice for some time with great curiosity, and this was his first speech. 

'You should learn not to make personal remarks,' Alice said with some severity; 'it's very rude.' 

And if you look at her in that drawing, and get past the mega-grump expression...well, I have to agree with Hatter.  Her hair is looking pretty straggly.

I'm very happy with my haircut (it's a chin-length bob, a bit longer in front than back, and the back is slightly stacked) but it does feel a bit silly have to cut off all my hair just in time for the onset of winter.  Fortunately, it's easy to use scarves to keep my neck warm.  I need to make sure I start having one of my handmade recycled-t-shirt scarves handy for wearing to bed. 

It's also time for me to pull out my gloves and hat.  It was below freezing on the way to and from the hair salon and it felt rather chilly.  I was excited to wear my new quilted "car coat" (that I bought from Jones New York when they had a fabulous sale) today.  For work, I usually wear a very long coat that protects my legs from the cold, but in jeans, I was comfortable in the shorter coat today.

5 comments:

jen said...

Haha, I really do almost exclusively wear those shoes, because they still fit, have support, and I can get them on all by myself! (My lace-up tennis shoes and zip-up ankle boots which also still fit generally require assistance to get on the feet... and flats, well, they just kill these days)

I bet your shorter hair will show off winter scarves quite nicely!

Sally said...

Jen, I'm glad the shoes are working out for you. It would suck to always have to get help putting on shoes!

I am already enjoying the fact that with my shorter hair, it doesn't get caught up in the scarf or lay kind of funny in the back where it overlaps the scarf. Less hair, more scarf seems like it might be a reasonable approach to winter after all :)

Debbie said...

Faaabulous rendition of Bridgette's original. Also yeah for sartorial solidarity. Also yea for pregnancy-friendly shoes and scarf-friendly haircuts!

It also got below freezing around here, apparently. For several minutes! The house was only 65 degrees this morning!

cartaufalous said...

That cardigan and shirt are so perfect together that they can never be worn apart again!

Sally said...

By popular decree, the Alice T has found her cardigan mate. We'll see if she looks happier about it with time.