Saturday, November 7, 2015

Summer Adaptation

Dressing Like a Color-Obsessed Child--Saturday, 11/7/15

Focal item: Short-sleeved coral/purple/beige striped T

A couple weeks ago, I was getting something out of my closet when I saw this t-shirt and thought, Oh damn, I don't think I've worn that yet, and it's really a summer item!

When I went to make an outfit with it, it became clear how I so easily overlooked it.  Despite being stripes (LOVE) and pretty colors, it doesn't really match well with much in my (really quite abundantly stuffed with clothes) closet...except denim.

I like how this Reverse Inspiration also uses denim with similar colors (orange/coral and bright pink) and makes it super-summery with the white jeans.

From bridgetteraes.com

My summer-outfit-somewhat-out-of-season version uses the denim top but substitutes magenta on the bottom.  I think keeping this outfit free of the bright white color makes it a little bit (teensy weensy bit) more fall acceptable.



Coral/purple/beige striped T (Kohls), $2.00/wear+
Denim shirt (thrifted, Target), $1.50/wear
Magenta pants (thrifted, Target), $1.50/wear
Taupe smoking slippers (thrifted, Gap), $5.00/wear
Wild ball necklace (Macy's), $3.32/wear

Outfit total: $13.32/wear

And if that argument doesn't work, well, I always think of smoking slippers (as opposed to e.g., ballet flats) as a fall/winter shoe.


I was going to wear this on Halloween (dressing up as a box of candy?) but it was way too warm still.  I know I will appreciate my apartment being so much warmer than the outdoor temperature in about December but during this early fall period, it's been a little bit tough.

Today's draft blog post dates to my grad school days at My Masters University.  Here I present "Automaticity and Driving" in its entirety:

This evening I realized that I needed to run to the grocery if I wanted to have eggs for breakfast. I got in my car and started driving. The light was peculiar, and the clouds gave me some hope that we might see rain again soon. I think a few raindrops fell while I was driving. The trees were looking green and gorgeous. And I drove into the parking lot I always use at school. Oops.

I have been experiencing a lot of this distraction lately with the fall foliage looking so pretty.  I kind of have to remind myself occasionally that I should be watching the road/cars, not just the trees.  Luckily my dominant response is to drive to work, so that's what I do, and it works out just fine.

No comments: