Saturday, February 28, 2015

With or Without Lumps

WWWSC Day 6: Wear the item you've been saving--Thursday, 2/26/15

It's so silly, but the item I've been saving is one of the most simple, versatile garments of all--a chambray button up shirt.  (Chambray is a lot like denim only lighter weight material.)  I had been thinking of getting one for a while, but never saw one in a store/online that just commanded me to try it, and I never saw one at Goodwill.  I got lucky that when I went to the 88 cent thrift store sale with my mom and her sister at Christmas that they had one in my size, and doubly lucky that my mom, who saw it first (well, technically her sister saw it first and showed it to her), decided that she didn't care for the ruffles.  Chambray + ruffles?  I'm on it.

There are approximately a gazillion pins featuring a chambray shirt on Pinterest.  This is just one of them.

From hello-gorgeous-blog.blogspot.com
I was attracted to the purple sweater, chambray top, leopard shoe combination, which I executed thusly.


*Chambray button up shirt (thrifted, LL Bean, 88 cents)
Purple pullover sweater (Kohls)
Black pants (thrifted, Lane Bryant)
Leopard smoking slippers by Clarks
Hammered silver necklace (JNY)

It only occurred to when I was ironing it that it might not actually be a true chambray shirt.  Perhaps it's just a light blue shirt with a slight white pattern that gives it a sort of chambray look.  Feel free to call the fashion police if you must, but I think they'll let me off with a warning--it's a really close match.  Maybe the ruffles should have been a tip-off?  In any event, I'm calling this my chambray shirt whether it's real chambray or ersatz chambray.


All is forgiven when I wear leopard smoking slippers, right?  Right?


Verdict:  The button up shirt with pullover sweater combination always looks oddly lumpy in the photos--it's a bit lumpy in person too because I can never be bothered to wear a camisole between the layers as a girdle for my bumpy button up, but not as lumpy as it does in the pictures.  Or well, maybe it does look that lumpy when I stand around with my arms up above my shoulders.  Note to self: don't spend all day at work with your arms above your shoulders or people will start to whisper to each other about how lumpy your sweater looks.  And we can't have that.

But what am I saying.  The cold I'd been fighting off hit with a vengeance late in the evening, so I'm achy and tired and sleepy (from trying and mostly failing to sleep on top of a mound of pillows to facilitate breathing) and could maybe, maybe raise my arms above my head if your pointed a gun at me.

No comments: