Sunday, February 22, 2015

Saturday: Shopping + Sickness + Singing

Robert's and my big objective for Saturday was to complete a shopping trip for groceries and sundries, a filing cabinet to replace the one that was broken during our move, and frames for the plethora of rabbit posters (plus one bird) that I ordered over the President's Day weekend. 

We started by going to JCP so I could return a few items I had purchased online, and it was annoying because after standing in line at the customer service desk for a good little while (including watching some old biddy just walk to the front of the line with complete disregard for protocol) and finally getting to the counter, they're like, Oh, online returns?  You have to deal with those downstairs.  And the first customer service counter we went to downstairs was like, Oh online returns?  You have to go to this one particular service desk over there.  WTF?  Would it kill them to have a sign, any kind of sign, posted about where to return online purchases?  I would have been very unhappy except by dumb luck we happened across a huge display of plastic flip flops that allowed me to finally replace my old shower flip flops with a new pair for $5 (leopard again).

We were able to get most things we wanted at Target, including a plain grey scarf (I don't know why that's so hard to find) and a pair of fleece lined leggings for me and a file cabinet for Robert (that, when he tried to attach the handles later, demonstrated a new level of crappiness by having screw holes in the metal that were too small for the screws in the handles, leading a sort of "Screw that!"/"I'd like to" exchange between us).  But their selection of frames was really limited.

Luckily I thought of "that place we've gone before to get stuff framed" (aka Michaels) and there was one basically across the street from Target.  They had a wonderful selection, including several of the awkward sizes I didn't think we'd find (e.g., 12" x 12").  And even better, we managed to be there on the last day of a four day 50% off sale on their nicer frames.  So now we're totally set for when the rabbit art arrives (and I will finally frame a couple of other small pieces that have been languishing since before our move).

But the downside is that Robert and I both are coming down with colds and felt pretty lousy the rest of the day.  I came home and took a longish, uncomfortable nap, and woke up feeling less headache-y but worse in every other way.  So our secondary objectives of dealing with the stuff remaining in our hallway, etc., didn't pan out.

After dinner, I watched the 2012 musical version of Les Miserables.  I am a fan of musicals, Hugh Jackman, and Russell Crowe, so it was a no-brainer that I'd like it.  I was surprised that the musical format involved almost entirely sung dialog, and there were times that was pretty awkward (sorry, Russell Crowe, but I'm looking at you).  I also was not really sold on or interested in the "love at first sight" Cosette/Marius thing, but overall, I enjoyed the movie. 

I also enjoyed wearing my Alice scarf with my leopard print sweater dress, leggings, snow boots, and red wool coat.  It's a bit tough dressing for shopping where you know you'll be freezing outside but have to wear all your stuff for extended periods indoors.  I only realized upon looking at the photo that it puts the lie to my earlier claim to not own anything with hearts on it.  The White Rabbit is sporting his heart livery on this scarf.


6 comments:

mom said...

Dad and I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of Les Miserables. It was too weird about the play within a movie.

Sorry that you guys are sick, hope you get well soon.

Sally said...

I'm not sure what you mean about the play within the movie--are you thinking of a different version?

mom said...

Maybe, I don't think we've seen it, though.

Sally said...

It starts out with a bunch of guys pulling on huge ropes to bring in a sunken ship, and you know, singing.

Here it is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jp_MKI_6w

mom said...

WE definitely haven't seen this version. We'll have to try it. Thanks.

Sally said...

I enjoyed it a lot and I hope you do too.