Tuesday, February 24, 2015

New Style Challenge + Pinspiration

I enjoyed creating my own version of the plaid/moto outfit I found on Pinterest, and I like seeing how other people interpret outfits they've pinned, so I decided to double up this time by following the Who What Wear style challenge while also using Pinterest to generate specific outfit ideas for the style challenge prompts. As usual, I have no intention of creating outfits sequentially to match the 30 (or whatever) days of the challenge, and I am quite happy to outright skip prompts like "Change out your handbag" (nope, I only have one and I like it that way!) and "Mix high-end with under $100" (almost everything I own is under $100) and "pair your favorite denim pieces together" (I cannot do the Canadian tuxedo, whether it is in style or not).

A while back, I started a Pinterest board with outfits that I came across on blogs I read, as well as searches for particular items on Pinterest itself, that was 80% motivated by my thought that I could use Pinterest pinning as a substitute for shopping during the long-seeming period that we were packing up, moving, and unpacking.  I've read some people get into trouble with Pinterest because they'll see a cute outfit and think, Oh man, I need to buy those items to recreate this outfit!  But I've found that it doesn't have that effect on me.  I will very occasionally pin outfits that I don't have any clothes that would match up with the pin if the outfit is just completely awesome, but I generally pin things where I have similar garments, or similar colors, or similar shapes, or similar something that goes with the pin.  If anything, even aside from the fact that time spent on Pinterest is time not spent on shopping sites, looking at outfit pins makes me less inclined to shop overall because I realize that there are so many ways to wear the clothes I already have.  And when I do get a desire to buy something because of Pinterest, it's more like, Yeah, I knew having a cobalt blue skirt would be awesome, and I've now seen 3 dozen outfits on Pinterest that I could make from my existing wardrobe if I had one.

No comments: