Friday, February 13, 2015

88 Cent Tweed Blazer Revisited

Pinspired: Whitney a La Mode--Thursday, 2/12/15

Whitney is a cute French teacher in Washington, D. C. When she wears t-shirts with French words or the Eiffel tower on them, it's legit.

I loved the color combination in this outfit and the idea of wearing a teal skirt with maroon ankle boots.  But see outside her window?  It's not deep Snowville winter when and where she is wearing this outfit, so some adaptation was in order.


Dark teal skirt and red pullover sweater, that I could do.

But I needed to add tights, and I wanted to wear black shoes to match the black tights (the maroon boots on bare legs will have to wait for a warmer day).

Even a cashmere sweater with a thermasilk tank underneath seemed not quite warm enough, so instead of a colorful scarf, I pulled out the 88 cent blazer that keeps on giving.

I was very pleased by my version of Whitney's look--it's winter appropriate and it's in a more classic, less girly key, which is more in keeping with my style for work wear.  Unlike the red skirt and striped T outfit on Monday (which is a wonderful but obvious combination), the "red pullover with dark teal skirt with patterned piece that ties them together" idea is one that I might never have gotten around to on my own, but that feels very me.


Red cashmere pullover sweater (Macy's)
Dark teal pencil skirt (JCP)
Colorful tweed blazer (thrifted, Sag Harbor, 88 cents)
Black tights
Black heeled oxfords (thrifted, Aerosoles)
Gold chain link necklace (Ann Taylor)


I've had these shoes for a zillion years and I absolutely love them.  I don't wear them very often (hence their longevity, considering they were bought used), but I enjoy pulling them out every once in a while.  Despite their (modest) heel and pointy toebox, they are quite comfortable.  I mean, I won't be chasing squirrels with my sister's dog at the park while wearing these shoes, but they are just fine for wearing at my desk while crunching data.

Speaking of which....I finally finished the "missing data" project today!  Although some of the data didn't make it into our data submission, we did at least figure out where all of it is, and the guy in charge of those programs is well-informed now about what data practices are working/not working in his department.  Now it's time to start tackling my list of "projects on hold while quarterly reporting/this never-ending missing data issue/preparing for the data presentation on Wed. were going on."

2 comments:

mom said...

You're probably tired of me saying I love this outfit. The jacket does the perfect job of tying the skirt and top together.

Sally said...

Thanks! I am really happy to have found this blazer. I saw a similar one from the same company (just slightly different colors) for $20 on ThredUp or eBay yesterday. Makes my 88 cents seem like even more of a bargain.