Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Missed Opportunity

When I was putting the books I got from my mom at Christmas as part of our yearly book swap (well, what it really is: I borrow books from my mom at one Christmas and return them to her the next while rarely ever contributing any books of my own) onto my bookcase, I noticed this.


Robert said, But they were buy 2 get a 3rd free--I can't believe she only bought two of them!

I can't decide whether having two copies of the same book means that it was very good or very forgettable.  (Or whether my mom ended up with two different people's copies of the book.)

Of course, it could be that my mom was just collecting an Elder Scrolls style library.  In the process of building my libraries in Skyrim, it was not uncommon for me to have over 20 copies of the same book in a single chest in one of my houses. 

But what am I saying?  It's quite natural to hoard Treasure.

Robert's comment, playing on an inaccurate/overly restrained interpretation of the message on the sticker, reminds me of one of the cards from...I think it was the Game of Life board game...which mentioned a 20% off sale at a lumberyard, in which the length of the wood was decreased by 20%, not the price.  Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

2 comments:

mom said...

I bought one of the copies, Sally, and your aunt bought the other and gave it to me to read. I don't remember the lumber being 20% shorter.

Sally said...

I wondered whether that was the case.

I actually just this moment remembered that the game in question was Payday, not Life (at about 90% certainty).