Friday, February 6, 2015

More Last Minute Substitutions

Pattern Challenge Day 19: Leopard and Day 2: Abstract -- Tuesday, 2/3/15

I was all set to wear my navy blue/black pencil skirt with the star design for the first time when I realized, damn, I don't actually care for how this fits.  It still has its tags, so back to Nordstrom it will go.  But I already was wearing black tights, blue leopard print shoes, and a black sweater and didn't have the desire to start over, hence the substitution of a black skirt and a navy/blue abstract print cardigan.  This is definitely not something I would have thought to put together under anything but desperation circumstances, so the dual pattern/skirt challenge has pushed me into a different style than my default.  I am actually pretty leery of the navy/black combo, which can look too much like "I got dressed in the dark, oops" rather than an intentional pairing, but the colors of the star skirt made it clear that I knew I was mixing these colors.  I'm not sure whether the shoes alone can serve that function as well, but I figured what the hell.
 

*Black wool pullover sweater (thrifted, Calvin Klein)
Black fold pencil skirt (JCP)
Navy/blue sweatshirt cardigan (thrifted, Rafaella)
Black tights
Blue leopard shoes by C. Label
Blue/green/pearl necklace (Target)

Can these shoes carry the weight of navy/black color mixing?


I like an excuse to wear this necklace, and I thought it nice that it fit so perfectly along the V-neck of the sweater.


This was definitely outside my usual outfit zone, but the combo of wool sweater and sweatshirt cardigan was nice and snuggly on a cold, snowy day.

Also I just noticed that my sweatshirt matches the world's CUTEST snake, so that can't be bad.

He recommends trying the cardigan with a pop of red.

Inadvertent nursery snake patterned sweatshirt cardigan for the win!

1 comment:

jen said...

I hate when I can't tell whether something is navy or black, but I do love combining the colors when it looks intentional. Navy is a great neutral.