Saturday, February 21, 2015

And Now For Something Different on a Friday


Pattern Style Challenge Day 30: Plaid--Friday, 2/20/15

OK, I don't own very much plaid.  Plaid?!  How is it that I do not have half a dozen pleated plaid skirts that I bought at Goodwill?  Where are the plaid shirts?  If not for Robert's mom giving me a Burberry-plaid scarf at Christmas, the situation would be dire indeed.  I believe that other than that scarf, and a couple big flannel shirts that I sleep in, a pair of thrifted plaid pants is my only plaid patterned garment.  I love plaid, it's a classic pattern readily available for purchase at all times...I don't know what the deal is.

I decided that I wanted to try to de-fogey-ify the rather staid "not sure that these are ankle pants, I think they're just kinda short" pants that are probably old enough to be vintage but really feel more like just old.  So I looked up "plaid" on Pinterest and found this outfit.

Image originally from thearnoldsblogalot.com

The outfit I created is not nearly as cool as that one, but it (1) incorporates my frumpy (lined wool, woo!) plaid pants, (2) is compatible with casual Friday at a business casual office, and (3) does not contain holes that facilitate the freezing of body parts.

I switched black pants and plaid moto jacket for plaid pants and black moto jacket.  I kept the bold silvery necklace, grey/white striped T, and black ankle boots.  The hat...well, sorry, uh-uh.  I enjoyed creating this outfit, and the result was not too bad, I think.  (This is one of those cases where my awkward "don't shoot" shooting stance makes the outfit look worse than was.  With the moto jacket, it had a nicer slouchy quality as I walked around with my arms in a normal position all day.)

I would not have tried pairing this particular plaid (or the plaid in the inspiration photo) with grey and white stripes--I would have just worn a plain white or black top, or perhaps a graphic T if I had one that worked with these colors--but I kind of liked it.  Less boring than plain white or black, and less jarring than say black and white stripes. 


*Black/maroon plaid wool pants (thrifted, Talbots)
Grey/white striped T (Kohls)
Black moto jacket (JCP)
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman
Chunky silver necklace (JNY)

So that is me wearing my one plaid garment to work.  However, before you become unduly alarmed that my household is not doing its part to support the plaid/tartan industry, be aware that Robert's closet and chest of drawers contain a plethora of plaid items.  In particular, his casual wardrobe has an extremely high proportion of plaid.  He is totally a person of plaid.

If he were a wider/bigger guy, I would happily just borrow his plaid shirts, but our relative sizes defy the social stereotypes implicit in the names of "boyfriend jeans," "boyfriend blazer," "grandpa cardigan," and other man-associated garments sold to women.  I am now imagining Robert in my plaid pants--I mean, plaid crop pants!  All the better for showing off those white shins during the Coldville winter!

1 comment:

mom said...

I love plaid, too, and the only plaid thing I own is a pink plaid pajama bottom. What's with that? I think they just don't make much clothing in plaid for women.