Saturday, February 14, 2015

I Heart Blazers with Contrasting Edging

I can't quite figure out whether there is a consistent name for this--I have seen it called variously "piped," "edged," "framed," and "tipped."  But what I mean is a blazer that has an edging around the collar and usually the pockets, too, like these. 

My favorite 88 cent tweed blazer with black edging

Cream polka dot blazer by Target, thrifted

Black grid blazer with subtle black edging by Target, also thrifted

What I really want is a true, cool grey blazer with black edging (the grey blazer I have now is the much warmer taupe-grey in the third outfit here) but I cannot find one anywhere!  The closest I have come shopping online is a $500+ Theory blazer in grey with white edging.  This type of edged/tipped/whatever blazer used to be commonplace from J. Crew, Lands End, and Gap (among countless others, no doubt).

I mean, look at the fabulous bright-magenta-with-white version from Gap that Kate at a Journey in Style is wearing here (this week)!  (WANT.)


And looking on Pinterest, I found the grey/black tipped blazer of my dreams, which Lauren at Fizz and Frosting purchased from Target!  (Is it just me or does it look a lot like my thrifted Target blazers above?)


She pointed me to this blazer at JC Penney that is in the realm, but not quite right.  It's 3/4 length sleeves and a very light grey.  Actually, it would be a really nice one for spring.  Maybe I've convinced myself to try it....Hah, so I just went to buy that blazer and by the time I went to check out, they alerted me that it was no longer available in my size.  Thanks JCP!

I even looked at eBay and ThredUp but did not find any edged blazers in my size (I did not do a thorough examination of every size of blazer for sale, but I suspect that there is a size 4 J. Crew one available somewhere for like $250, used, to the desperate customer).

If you happen across a relatively inexpensive tipped blazer in an interesting color or pattern (I am pretty much crazy for this plaid one from Boden, but even on sale, I can't justify spending over $100 for it) or a grey with black tipped blazer at all out there on the Interwebs, let me know!  I am on the hunt for tipped blazers!

No comments: