Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Depletion in Action

Last night at bedtime, Robert said, "...I was so tired I spent the last hour surfing the wikipedia pages of random British monarchs."

I hate it when that happens.  And it happens.  It really, truly does.  It takes a chunk of effortful self-regulation to not click on that next link, and I've been in that exhausted, worn down state in which I just can't. stop. clicking. 

It's a damn good thing Robert and I don't play video slots on the Internet late at night or we'd be broke and living in the basement that my parents' house doesn't have.

Depletion-induced behavioral inertia was pretty awesome when I was working on my research late into the night during the summer of my masters program, but it's not so great when you have to go to bed at a reasonable hour so you can wake up in the morning and go to work.  Or when you're eating tortilla chips.  Not that I would know that from personal experience or anything.

2 comments:

mom said...

How about being so tired that you rewind a DVD about 10 times because you didn't get what was going on? But, I have to admit random clicking is right up there!

Sally said...

I also like: Too tired to go to bed.