Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Getting Better and Worse at the Same Time

Friday was the day that, supplied with contact names from yesterday's meeting, I started calling people working in the programs to find out what the hell was going on.  I started calling them up around 8:15, and it's really convenient how leaving a message that starts "[Your boss's boss] asked that I call you about..." gets a prompt response.

Unfortunately, that response was generally: "What?  You say that is happening?  Let me look this up in [the front end of our database].  Huh.  I see what you mean.  But you can't find these records?  That's weird."  So people were eager to help but unable to supply much information.  But I did get a sort of consensus view that I should talk to M, a person in our IT department who is responsible for the database stuff.

So I know from previous encounters that when I talk to M, he will want me to supply the identifying number of a person in the database where we're seeing the problem.  I found a problematic person (no X data) for Program Y, and I decided that before talking to him, I would also find a non-problematic person (have X data) for the same program.  But when I looked up the "non-problematic" person, I found out that even though I had some X data on this person, the data were incomplete!  The front end of the database reported 4 units for this person, but only two of them were in the data download.  This meant that I had to go back through and spot check individual people's records in the database for all the programs to ensure that this wasn't happening for other programs too.  And I found another program with the same situation -- some but not all the data were there.  (For all I know, the problem could exist in other programs but I just didn't happen to find a record with the issue.  If I could identify the problem records without looking up individual people....well, I wouldn't have a problem then.)

That was one way I discovered that I had more missing data than I knew.

The second way was when I did some basic crosstabs on the X data I had matched up to the records supplied to us, I found oddities like, This person has data in period Z for a program that did not occur in period Z, WTF?  Oh.  Damn.  When the regulatory people had given us their records, they had recoded a lot of specific program codes under one code.  So when I aggregated X data across those codes, it was summing all X data across all programs under the umbrella code.  If a person participated in two different programs, the data were screwed up.

I explained the issue to my officemate and she said, You mentioned a couple days ago you almost wished you were starting over knowing what you know now, and it looks like you're getting the chance.

It's true -- I did say that because I had done a bazillion different "get some data, clean it up, match records to this primary datafile, see what happened, rinse, repeat" cycles and everything was confusing.

So I did start over, and it was a much more clean, satisfying procedure.  And it fixed all those weird mis-matched records so everything looked kosher on that front.  But now I had 2700 records without data instead of 2300!

At the end of the day, I told my officemate that I needed to stop working on this and go home before we lost all our data altogether.

Summary:  The data are getting worse because we have ever more missing records but the data are getting better because they are more accurate.  But damn.

Pattern Challenge Day 22: Polka Dots -- Friday, 1/30/15

This outfit resulted from a last minute substitution.  I had planned to wear my argyle cardigan with it, but when I put that on, it was short and small enough that it looked very weird with the tunic.  The tunic itself was a substitution for a short-sleeved knit top that I had planned with the outfit when I was brainstorming ideas during the fall.  But luckily I have a polka dot blazer that could easily be substituted, fulfilling a different pattern challenge.

I normally would not have paired this necklace with this blazer (it worked better with the cardigan, I think), but I didn't feel like trying to make yet another substitution so I just went with it.


*Plum tunic (Kohls)
Cream polka dot blazer (thrifted, Target)--I love this classic school 
Black ankle pants (thrifted, Eileen Fisher)
Tall black boots by Fitzwell
Purple/gold necklace (Macy's)

This photo is somewhat better because it was a sunny afternoon and with my new awesomely short commute, I got home from work in time to take another photo before losing the daylight.

3 comments:

mom said...

I love the polka dot blazer. Don't you love challenges (like the ones you've been having at work)? The challenge of what to wear to work is much more fun.

jen said...

I was just going to say, well that picture's lighting looks good! Ah yes, sunlight does it every time.

And good luck with the continued detective work to find the missing data! I know how much you love a good mystery after all :)

Sally said...

Yes, it's funny, I love mystery stories and playing puzzle games but I can get easily irritated by these kinds of challenges at work. I think a big part of that is, I love digging into a puzzle/adventure/mystery when I'm not being pressured to SOLVE THIS NOW OMG THE DELIVERABLE IS OVERDUE!1!!!!!11!1!!