Thursday, February 26, 2015

Piling on the Warm Stuff

Who What Wear Style Challenge (WWWSC) Day 2: Mix at least 2 textures--Tuesday, 2/24/15

I knew I wanted one of my textures to be corduroy, so I searched my pins for something with a red skirt.  Here was my first contender.  I like the plaid shirt, but that's not really warm enough for our current weather.

From shealennon.com

Then I found another pin with the same red skirt, this time with a navy pullover sweater.

From shealennon.com

Now we're in business.

You may recall that I said my plaid pants were my only plaid item except for one scarf and a couple of plaid flannel shirts that I sleep in.  Well, here's calling on the Black Watch tartan sleep shirt (just a slightly big men's shirt) to do double duty. 


Red corduroy skirt (thrifted, H&M)
*Dark green flannel plaid button up shirt (Walmart)
Navy wool pullover sweater (thrifted, Ralph Lauren)
Red scarf (Target)
Navy leggings
Tall cognac boots by Sam Edelman

I've got some good textures going on here: corduroy, flannel, wool sweater, leather.  Overall, a very "fall has given way to winter and DAMN it's cold" kind of look.


Verdict:  Mixing textures is easy-peasy in winter.  Wearing a men's shirt that's a sleep shirt as a regular shirt underneath a pullover sweater works pretty well.  The shirt is actually the correct size for my shoulders and it fits over my hips just fine--the fact that it's way loose and baggy around the middle is OK because it gets smooshed in under the sweater. 

And yep, I'm following the style blogger law and wearing tall cognac boots. Because I can.

I felt very comfortable all day, except for one point in the evening when I was getting extremely frustrated with something and my body temperature rose by several degrees and I thought I would pass out.  But my annoyance dissipated and all was well again.  The annoying thing #1 was that I got some posters I ordered online in the mail today (yay!) but the way they wrapped and taped them meant that it was much, much easier to tear the poster itself than to get the stupid fucking protective death grip wrapping paper off of it.  What the hell, people?  It's OK, I don't think the small tear at the very top center of my 24"x36" poster is noticeable now that it's in its frame.  The annoying thing #2 was dealing with the frames themselves--I hate the cheap ass ones with the metal tabs you have to bend and unbend with your thumb.  My fingers were red and sore and pretty beat up, even though I started using a butter knife on it pretty quickly.  Luckily most of the frames were nicer, with less painful closures on the back.  Our walls are going to look spiffy once we get these things up--spiffy with the cuteness of a million buns.

At work, I've been finishing stuff faster than my manager could look at it this week, and I felt like a rock star. I'm also having an interesting little challenge figuring out how to deal with our odd program that runs year-round and hence has enrollments that cross years as defined by our regulatory agency.  I have to make adjustments for this program sometimes, but this one is a particularly interesting dilemma for which my approach is very straightforward conceptually but twiddly in the details.

Robert stayed home sick and was asleep a lot of the day. We both seem to have developed colds, but he's got it worse, and with a horrible sounding cough that I (knock wood) don't have.  But I'm getting tired of the odd accompanying stomach ache.

Oh, I also had a prolonged dream on Monday night that Robert and I were not finished with our move yet.  We were packing up the last few things at our apartment after the movers had done their job (like we actually did--stuff like my bag of medication, my delicate little cat table, etc.) when I found a room we'd forgotten about that had some stuff in it.  Then I thought, I should look outside to see what's there, and we had a bunch of crates, frames with art work (!), etc., out on our patio.  Because of course our apartment had turned into my parents' house at this point.  Then I was like, Oh no, we have a garage, too!  And looking in, it was like the worst extreme nightmare version of how full of stuff my parents garage has ever been.  My dad's tennis trophies had been reproducing like rabbits in there, for one, so there were like a hundred of them.  The walls were completely covered in tools that appeared mostly to be securely wired in to withstand the apocalypse.  And I was like, We have to have everything moved out of here in under 18 hours, how is this even gonna happen?  So I called my dad (god knows where he was) and he said, Maybe you can get [my cousin] Ben to help you.  It was kind of a relief to wake up and realize I only had to go to work today at my normal job and not move the mountain of possessions that had infested my parents' nightmare garage.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm sorry, I laughed at your forgotten-rooms moving nightmare. I can feel it!

I like your outfit. So warm. And good colors.

jen said...

I've had dreams where we have hidden/long-forgotten rooms in our house too. It's so strange!

Amongst the reasons I will not be a style blogger, I don't have cognac boots.

Sally said...

Debbie, oh yeah, I laughed too when I woke up! This definitely piggy-backed on an experience I had, as a teenager I think, when my mom was on my dad's case about cleaning the garage (during one of those periods when you couldn't park even a single car in a two-car garage because it was so full). He and I stood in the doorway from the dining room to the garage, looking out at piles and boxes. He put an arm around my shoulder and gestured dramatically at the garage with the other, saying, One day, all of this will be yours. I was like, Thanks Dad but I really hope not.

Jen, the lack of cognac boots is a problem, but I think having a blanket scarf will work in a pinch. Having both is preferable, but I think one of the two is sufficient for an entry level blogger. Also, it's somehow reassuring to know I'm not the only one who's had this kind of dream. Maybe we move so often that it shouldn't surprise me that we dream this way.

Debbie said...

Okay, now your dad's making me laugh too!