Thursday, February 5, 2015

Introducing a Week of Winterized Dresses and Skirts

A couple weeks ago, Audrey at Putting Me Together challenged her readers to wear a dress, even though it's winter and a lot of people avoid dresses in winter.  I decided to do that this week--turning it into a full week of dresses and skirts--along with continuing the Pattern Challenge.  This proved to be...well, challenging.  The weather forecast for the week called for highs between 8 and 23 with two days of (minor) snowfall.  So the basic kind of "take a sleeveless dress and wear it with tights and a cardigan" winterizing approach that works in those warm states just wasn't gonna fly.  Add in the need to include patterns and it took me a good bit of trial and error to come up with 5 work outfits that wouldn't leave me absolutely freezing.  My use of my closet is still pretty inefficient, too, because I'm not quite used to how I have things arranged in there, and I need to get additional storage space for a bunch of sweaters, jeans, etc., that are currently living in suitcases in the bedroom.

The photos are a little better than last week because I set up my mirror in my office, where I have two floor lamps and hence halfway decent light.  I mean, at least you can see that the dress has a pattern in it and isn't just a dark grey blur.  That's a start.

Pattern Challenge Day 2: Abstract -- Monday, 2/2/15

First up is an Old Navy dress I have had for a while.  It has an abstract flower pattern that works great for Day 2's challenge, but it is problematic for winter--elbow length sleeves and a deep scoop/peasant neckline.


Here's what I did with it.  This cream scarf is perfect for the purpose because it is huge and makes a really big, warm faux-finity scarf when the ends are tied together.


*Grey/cream/black abstract floral knit dress (thrifted, Old Navy)
Cream scarf (thrifted)
Black moto jacket (JCP)
Grey leggings
Tall grey boots by Fitzwell
Black elastic belt

Blast from the Past---Here is another way I wore this black moto jacket with a grey outfit (for the weekend, 10/4/14):


2 comments:

mom said...

I really like the dress. I hope you wear it often when the weather is better.

Sally said...

Thanks! I currently have it hanging on a rack to dry right next to a grey and black striped lightweight cardigan and I'm thinking Hmmm...when it gets just a little bit warmer, I'm trying that.