Thursday, November 10, 2016

Not Yet Normal

"Fall Jewel Tones"--Thursday, 11/10/16

It doesn't seem to matter how irrelevant the raison de etre for Bridgette's outfit idea posts are; I can usually find a way to make them work for me.  Case in point:  2 years ago she put together a set of outfits for "stylish slip-on sneakers," including this attractive mix of fall colors.

From bridgetteraes.com

I created a definitely-not-sneakers outfit for work based on this color combination, including the olive T-shirt that I finally found at Target (!).


*Olive short-sleeved T (Target), $9.00/wear
Navy skirt (Walmart), $7.50/wear
Grey cardigan (Kohls/gift from Mom)
Magenta scarf (JCP), $0.96/wear
Navy tights
Navy ankle boots by Seychelles, $8.75/wear

Outfit total: $26.21/wear

I love how rich the magenta scarf looks against these dark neutrals.  This is also a somewhat different scarf tie from what I've done before.  I looped the scarf completely around my neck once (with the ends at the front), tied the ends together once close to my neck, then pulled down the front loop so it covered the tied part, leaving only the ends to hang down below.  I liked how this added folds and texture to the front looped part of the scarf, which has a nice thick drape and a lovely sheen.


Clearly this is a situation that calls for comparing my scarf to the glossy sheen of a Satin rabbit coat.


In other news...The vibe at work is still not back to normal--still a lot of sad, grumpy people.  I had a conversation with Robert last night, and then with my office mate C. at work today, about the role and responsibility of white people who are committed to racial equity to step into the conversation about race with other white people who aren't ask sure about it or don't really get what the big deal is.  It's a big question but one I keep thinking about in the aftermath of Trump's surprise win (on the shoulders of white voters).  It's like, we can either write off all the people who voted for Trump as "deplorables" and (in Robert's phrase) wait for them all to die, or we can try to do something to education and persuade people of why race still matters.  I don't know what that looks like, but I think it's more important today than it was on November 7.

No comments: