Thursday, November 17, 2016

Commuter Annoyance

"Double Dots"--Thursday, 11/17/16

I liked this polka dots + leopard print + long necklace + green and black combination, but when it came time to put the outfit together, I wanted to try my cream peplum sweater instead.

From tealandpolkadots@instagram

Once again, I enjoyed wearing this sweater underneath a blazer.  Looks polished and interesting while being more comfortable than a t-shirt (due to the extra volume in the bottom half).  Can I also take a moment to sing the praises of these comfy, perfectly-fitting pants?  I know that they are an old school work trousers cut rather than a modern skinny cut, but they always look appropriately professional and feel so great to wear.  Recently I have been comparing other traditional-work-in-an-office pants in my closet to these, finding them wanting, and putting them aside for Goodwill.  I don't wear pants all that often, and when I want to wear a neutral, office-y pair, these are my best bet, so why keep so many other inferior pairs, you know?


Black polka dot blazer (thrifted, Talbots), $2.44/wear
Cream peplum pullover sweater (Loft), $13.63/wear
Black work pants (thrifted, CJ Banks), $1.31/wear
Leopard smoking slippers by Clarks, $1.92/wear
Gold tassel necklace (Kohls), $0.95/wear
Magenta polka dot scarf (thrifted), $2.00/wear

Outfit total: $22.25/wear

To give the outfit a shot of color, I wore it with a scarf that has a pattern that I call "polka dot" but seems to be about halfway between polka dots and a leopard or cheetah print, thus the perfect bridging piece for this blazer and these shoes.


Black and white are a classic combination, as this Dutch rabbit will attest.

Alert to the distressing possibility that someone could put a polka dot scarf on him.

In other news...There must have been an accident responsible for backing up traffic unexpectedly such that there was a less than one mile stretch that took me over 45 minutes to travel.  Unfortunately, this was on the major road that I must take to get to my apartment and my first opportunity to leave the road was to take the first right...to the side streets where my apartment is located.  The worst part was that for a few minutes I thought this horrible loud sound and then burning oil smell was coming from my own car!  I started panicking a bit, but then realized I could test it (as we were at a complete standstill) by putting my car in park and turning off the engine.  As the sound continued uninterrupted, I was able to take a deep breath and relax knowing that my car wasn't about to die half a mile from home totally blocked in among a bunch of cars.  (Luckily for me, the car that was struggling managed to keep going long enough that I turned off onto the side street before their car died.) 

After Robert got home from work/dinner out/grocery shopping (and yes, Trader Joe's was visited--among other things, Robert likes their bran flakes, which he deems "less healthy" than normal bran flakes), we did a short (about 1 mile) Pokemon walk.  We didn't see or catch any particularly exciting ones, but it was a nice outing and we enjoyed the neither-cool-nor-warm temperature.

It was about 60 F today, but tomorrow afternoon we are expecting 1-3" of snow.  And so it begins.

No comments: