Friday, September 30, 2016

Olive Pigeon

"Feeling Fall-ish"--Friday, 9/30/16

In this post from last October, Tracy talks about starting to get into scarves after moving from Florida (too hot to wear them) to the Midwest.  Here in the Upper Midwest, scarves are doable (for non-exercise-type activities) on all but the very hottest days of summer...and they become something of a necessity as the cold weather sets in. 

From itsmostlyaboutfashion.com

I was attracted to this inspiration photo because it has the item that is perhaps the most "summer-to-fall transition" of all the things in my closet--the olive cargo blazer.  I could easily have worn this same outfit with my bright pink short-sleeved cardigan and bright pink ballet flats and looked totally on point for summer.  But substitute olive jacket and shoes for the bright pink and I look ready for the cooler season to begin.  I could look even more ready if I were willing to start wearing tall boots already but no...oh no. 


Black and grey striped skirt (thrifted, Loft), $1.00/wear
White V neck short-sleeved T (thrifted, JCP), $2.25/wear
Olive blazer (thrifted, Maurice's), $0.63/wear
Orange/pink "Moroccan" infinity scarf (Charming Charlie), $2.80/wear
Olive leopard flats (Nordstrom Rack), $3.33/wear

Outfit total: $10.01/wear

I have to resist the sense that it is "cute" or "precious" when people in less seriously cold places wear tall boots with bare legs in the fall.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that and it is no more ludicrous than the way I will wear a scarf with a sleeveless shirt in the summer, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.  And because a decent pair of tall boots is something of an investment, I can even get it that people want to get their wear out of them while they can.  I have this reaction but I suppress it, trying to leave my ire for footwear like Crocs, Ugg boots, and basically every flipflop that has ever been worn away from a beach/pool/shower.

Her floral scarf is so pretty...it gives me a major case of the Wants.  But my scarf is very nice too.  It's a unique print and unusual color combination, but most of all, I like the detail of the bright pink edging, which I accidentally featured to good effect in this close up view.


One close up deserves another.  Here is what a New Zealand red rabbit looks like when he's really getting in your face/camera lens.
 

In other news...I recently read An Abundance of Katherines, a young adult book by John Green (of The Fault in Our Stars fame).  It wasn't a fabulous can't-put-downer, but I found it amusing and enjoyable to read.  The thing that struck me most about this book was a footnote which asserted that Nikola Tesla was obsessed with pigeons and that he wrote of his favorite pigeon that he loved her as a man loves a woman.  WTF?  I asked Robert to fact-check this statement and he found that it is basically true.  Here is a source that confirms that quote.  So just for you, dead physicist and pigeon fancier Nikola Tesla, I present this photograph of a pigeon at the state fair.

They call me Mrs. Tesla.

And now it's the weekend!  Huzzah!

No comments: