Friday, September 16, 2016

Chambray Fur Dreams

Yesterday I went to the hospital for a slew of tests related to the kidney stones issue and didn't go to work afterwards because I was completely crashed out from the combination of no food or drink plus blood draw (I have a 2"+ round bruise on my arm) plus being filled and flushed of all sorts of weird fluids for the tests.  I was mostly OK at work today, though very glad it's Friday...like more than usually glad.  I'm just really tired and feeling kind of grumpy because my gum continues to be swollen and sore.

"Chambray Birds"--Friday, 9/16/16

This is a great business casual work outfit formula, especially for a Friday--white skirt, patterned top, denim jacket.

From nicoletothenines.com

I was initially going to wear my denim jacket, but opted to substitute my chambray blazer while it's still seasonally appropriate.  And this time instead of my beloved Alice bunnies, I shared the chambray fun with my navy and teal birds top.


Navy birds top (Nordstrom), $6.50/wear
White skirt (Walmart), $2.00/wear
Chambray blazer (thrifted, Target), $5.00/wear
Nude wedges by Cole Haan, $6.31/wear
White swag necklace (Kohls), $2.06/wear

Outfit total: $21.87/wear

Maybe some day I'll wear this blazer with a top that isn't navy, but for now, it works for me!  While other people can't wait to break out into full on boots/blanket scarf/pumpkin latte mode (a colleague in HR was wearing tights and tall boots this week), I am trying to eke out more use of this chambray blazer before it's utterly ridiculous.


In the spirit of seasonal-transitional dressing, check out the supreme fluffy goodness of this French Angora rabbit named Wyatt that we met this year at the state fair.  Is the fur a little over the top for September?

Ironically, on the rabbit agility course he did NOT go over the top of anything.


In other news...I still find myself thinking about a dream I had last weekend that was a combination of a literary research/adventure/conspiracy thriller novel and an Elder Scrolls type computer game (and was more coherent than most dreams I have).

I had worked out (by finding long-lost documents, etc.) that a Catholic priest who is known as a demonologist (i.e., studied demons for the purposes of opposing their works) is actually a necromancer (and not a demon summoner, as you might expect of a bad sorcerer with that cover story), and that he had recently come into possession of a powerful believed-to-be-mythical-but-was-actually-real artifact called the Thanatos that he could use to drastically improve his ability to raise the dead and bend them to his will.

When I woke up, I asked Robert, Have you heard of "Thanatos"?  He mentioned that it was something from Marvel Comics.  Turns out, that character was based on the Greek god of death.  But I'm not so familiar with comics or Greek mythology that I thought that's where my dreaming brain had come up with this word.  But of course, it's the term in post-Freudian psychoanalytical thought for the death drive!  So I'm guessing that the Thanatos could be used to cause people to commit suicide (and perhaps willingly join the necromancer's band of evil minions)--a useful thing when you want to target individual people or make yourself a large crop of fresh meat to be turned.  My assumption is that it is easier to raise people from the dead, and that the resulting undead are more powerful (and at the very least less physically damaged), if they are raised soon after death. 

2 comments:

Tam said...

I always like to see that blouse.

Sally said...

This might be your last chance. It's always been kind of tight in the hips (I sized down so it wasn't too deep cut on top) and I'm getting sick of messing with it.