Wednesday, September 7, 2016

On Point

"The Floral Polka Dot Connection"--Wednesday, 9/7/16

Because Pinterest is continuing to lose some of my pins lately, I had to find another Reverse Inspiration for today's outfit.  A search on "floral polka dot outfit" came up with this handy 1 piece outfit--what could be easier?  And if you are a newborn baby size, you can have one of your own for only CA$87.77--that's about US$67.  Not sure how you get the cost per wear down on newborn infant clothing that starts out that expensive.  You plan to have a dozen kids and hand this garment down from one baby to the next?

From etsy.com via Pinterest

Meanwhile, my outfit is comprised of mostly thrifted items, including the second Macy's cardigan from my recent Goodwill trip.  Lately I've been gravitating toward drapey cardigans and cocoon cardigans and other non-traditional silhouettes, but a nice quality classic cardigan that fits well and has a pretty pattern definitely has its place in my wardrobe.  Add in the pink and black colorway (perhaps my two most frequently worn shades) and it's a no-brainer at a whopping $6.99.

I calculated that excluding shoes (not included in the outfit above, so a fair comparison), I spent a total of $30.48 for this outfit, less than half the price of the (to be fair, new) baby sack gown.


Black and white polka dot blouse (thrifted, JCP), $2.62/wear
*Black/pink floral cardigan (thrifted, Macy's), $6.99/wear
Black suiting skirt (thrifted, Calvin Klein), $1.00/wear
Nude wedges by Cole Haan, $6.66/wear
Pink floral necklace (Target), $0.88/wear

Outfit total: $18.15/wear

This time I decided to try wearing a necklace with the cardigan.  My pink floral one fits just right to give it an embellished collar look that I like.


Looking sharp in black and white is a Californian rabbit strong point.  (Get it?  Strong point?)
 
Not very amused by my pun.

In other news...I'm tired from having spent all evening going through my shirts, trying them on, and deciding which ones to retire.  This is in the aftermath of a slight disaster this morning when, after putting some extra garments on my bottom hanging bar in my closet "temporarily," the bar gave way and a ton of clothes and shoes were knocked to the floor.  (So the placement was even more temporary than I'd planned.)  Robert and I moved everything from the floor of the closet to the sofa, and Robert put in a maintenance request to have the bar remounted.  When I got home from work, it was done.  But instead of just putting a bunch of stuff on the bar again, I decided to take this as a message from the gods that it's time to get rid of some things.  I purged 20 shirts from my wardrobe tonight.  Tomorrow I will move on to cardigans and jackets.

No comments: