Monday, September 12, 2016

Ghostly Rex Cardigan

"Dress Cardigan the Second Way"--Monday, 9/12/16

In July, Angie at YouLookFab posted about four ways to wear a maxi cardigan (which I think of as a "dress" cardigan because of the length).  This was a well-timed article because I had been thinking about other ways to wear mine now that I have amassed a few.

First was with a sleeveless dress, which has been my approach to wearing them.

Third was with a tunic and leggings, a style that makes sense to me but that I haven't tried.  My warm-weather compatible very long cardigans are short-sleeved, so they aren't as compatible with this suggestion as a long-sleeved cardigan would be.  But it's an idea to hold onto for a cooler season.

Fourth was with flared crops (pants) and a top.  I don't do crop pants so that one is out.

But her second suggestion seemed like a good option for me--over a pencil skirt.

From youlookfab.com

For my first attempt at the pencil skirt + dress cardigan combo, I added a hefty dose of "with a sleeveless dress" to it (keeping it closer to my comfort zone) by mimicking a dress with a matching top and pencil skirt.  (I was happy to wear a matching Fitbit too, of course.)  This pseudo-dress thing was something I stumbled upon by accident when I debuted my light green cardigan in the "Dirt and Grass" ensemble, and I think it has a lot of promise.  Anyway, I liked the result of the pencil-skirt-pseudo-dress with the long cardigan and will be trying it again.


*Short-sleeved black dress cardigan (thrifted, Studio Works), $4.99/wear
Aqua ruffle neck top (thrifted, JCP), $2.25/wear
Aqua skirt (JCP), $2.86/wear
*Mint/white/black floral scarf (thrifted), $3.99/wear
Nude Rockstud flats by Wild Diva, $6.66/wear

Outfit total: $20.75/wear

Although the ruffle neck top added enough interest on its own, I wanted to wear this new floral scarf I bought during my Summer 2016 Thrifted Scarf Haul.  I could not resist how well the aqua/black colorway matched my outfit. (The fact that it echoes the tie on the blouse in the inspiration photo is a bonus.)


To contrast with the nubby texture of this cardigan, here is a rex rabbit offering a whole lotta softness.
 

In other news...It's time for another half-assed book review!

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger


This book is both a ghost story and a horror story, but not in the way you might think.

First off, be aware that a lot of people hated the last third of this book.  There is an uncommon uniform distribution of ratings on Amazon--about equal numbers of people gave it 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 stars.  And I can totally understand it.

The basic premise is that a pair of 20-year-old American twin girls (I use the word advisedly; their maturity level is distinctly below their age) inherit money and a nice apartment from their mother's estranged twin sister after her death.  The will stipulates that the girls must live in the apartment for a year, and not let their parents set foot in it, to inherit everything.  The primary characters they interact with are their aunt's younger boyfriend and an OCD crossword puzzle maker who live in the building.

Oh, and a ghost.

The writing is superb, and despite finding all the characters various kinds of unlikable (with the possible exception of the OCD guy, who is charming but absolutely impossible to deal with), I did enjoy the book pretty well up to the point where most readers think it goes totally off the rails...when a Ludicrous Plan is developed, a plan no one should come up with and no one should support.  And yet...

Man, a lot of people hate that ending.

But if you think of the book as a psychological horror story that is slow to reveal its darkness, the last third of the book, as ridiculous and insane and abhorrent as it is, actually kind of works.  It is not an ending to "like," you know?  But it is an ending that you might find yourself thinking about later.

The whole thing is also pretty much a cautionary tale reminding us that people should get treatment for their mental problems.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I've been thinking about reading Her Fearful Symmetry, but just haven't yet. Do you think I would like it?

Sally said...

I think you would like some thing about it, but it might drive you crazy. If you start it and don't finish it (or don't read it at all), I can give you a summary of it because it is a book that I'm unlikely to forget the big things that happens. I know, I know, but really...that ending is kind of unforgettable.