Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Warmth

A Popular Predatory Piece--Wednesday, 7/20/16

I have to agree that Nordstrom's Halogen seamed pencil skirt is a winner.  I only have the burgundy one but I love it.  I was disappointed that they only came out with a black and a camel/beige version this year--if they'd had any nice colors not already in my pencil skirt collection, I would have been tempted to buy one during the Anniversary Sale.  Oh well, that saved me about $45.

The pencil skirt that I have in multiple colors is Worthington/JCP brand--bright pink, dark teal, light grey, aqua, red, and purple.  I wish they were ever so slightly longer for wearing to work with bare legs (the Nordstrom one is that little bit longer that is perfect) but that's more an issue of personal preference that professional acceptability.  Today's outfit features the aqua one, inspired by this aqua skirt + black and white top ensemble.


From ladyinviolet.com
This top is one of the small set of "bought to wear with my interviewing suit" shirts I purchased a couple years ago and am trying to get a bit more wear out of this year.  Because it's sleeveless (which is great for no awkward bunching underneath a suit jacket but isn't on for wearing by itself), it's the white short-sleeved cardigan to the rescue again. 


Black and white circles drapeneck top (Calvin Klein/Macy's), $8.40/wear
Aqua skirt (JCP), $4.00/wear
White short-sleeved cardigan (Nordstrom), $1.81/wear
Black tooth/claw necklace (Outfit Additions), $1.08/wear
Black buckle flats by Me Too, $2.68/wear

Outfit total: $17.97/wear

And you can't go wrong with this predatory tooth/claw necklace and matching flats with gold buckles.


This tooth/claw necklace continues to be a popular choice...and was tied for Work the Wardrobe Challenge Necklace MVP #2 with 8 wears.  (It surprised me a bit that it wasn't #1 but then I remembered that my gold tassel necklace came into very heavy rotation right after I bought it because it was my only long necklace for a while.)

I managed to stay cool in my office wearing this (and running a fan), despite the 90+ F day.  Tomorrow is going to be like 97 F...eek!

In other news...It was surprisingly to learn that hair shampooing "rinse and repeat" is legit.  You only need to use half your normal amount of shampoo on each wash.  The first wash loosens up all the dead skins cells/grime/etc., the second one washes it all away.  Do you rinse and repeat?

In the no-kidding social science finding of the week, a study of software engineers found that "men are seen as confident if they are seen as competent, but women are seen as confident only if they come across as both competent and warm."  The author concludes, "To us, this study suggests that if women are to succeed in a biased world, encouraging them to be more confident is not enough. To get credit for having confidence and competence, and to have the influence in their organizations that they would like to have, women must go out of their way to be seen as warm."

2 comments:

Debbie said...

The double washing sounds odd, and I won't be doing it. First, I already use what I feel to be the minimum amount of shampoo to actually get coverage of my whole head, so I won't be cutting that in half. Second, the remark about length between washes implies that the longer you go, the more dirt you have to get rid of and it can't all be gotten rid of in one wash rather than some law of physics about #1 loosening the dirt and #2 rinsing it away. Third, I don't understand how the first rinse wouldn't rinse away the the released dirt from the first wash. And fourth, maybe it works because it makes you play with your hair more--what if you spent twice as much time washing and rinsing while still doing each once?

If that's the real issue, that makes me think about tooth brushing. In movies, people brush their teeth in the morning for about 5 seconds. In real life, I think people do more, though many have difficulty with the two-minute recommendation unless they have one of those electric toothbrushes with a timer. (Or, like one blogger I read, brushes her teeth while warming her bed-warming thingy in the microwave, which takes two minutes.) If we told people to rinse and repeat, they might get better results. And since most people use way more toothpaste than they need to (even just to get your whole mouth foamy--it's possible that people who drink fluoridated water don't need any toothpaste), then you could also advise to use half as much toothpaste each time.

As for the confident woman article, this is much better news than I expected. I thought it was always lose-lose for women. This implies that they can be seen as confident, competent and warm at the same time, and is thus something that is possible for some women to actually do.

Sally said...

Yeah, those are good observations. I've been trying the double wash since I read that article as an act of experimentation--I have found that despite the incredible heat lately, I've been able to go longer between washes and with less dry shampoo usage. But it's early days yet. We'll see if I continue to perceive any advantage to it.

I used to have trouble brushing my teeth for two minutes but I have gotten better at it. If anything, I now need to take care that I don't space out and brush too long.

It's kind of sad to react to the article like, Oh hey that's even possible! but I hear you.