Thursday, July 7, 2016

Bunnies + Data

"You Had Me at Leo"--Thursday, 7/7/16

OK, sure, this outfit would have jumped off the screen at me in any case.  But she calls this outfit "Leo"--I mean, come on?  How can I possibly resist it?

From pinksole.com

Even though I'm wearing my bright pink skirt a lot this spring/summer (by my standards--plus it was a WtWC Skirt MVP tied for #3 with 6 wears), I had to do a version of this look with my beige/burgundy leopard top that I bought during my interview suit purchasing session a couple years ago.


Drapeneck beige/burgundy leopard knit top (Anne Kleine/Macy's), $5.00/wear
Bright pink skirt (JCP), $1.39/wear
Beige-grey knit blazer (Target), $2.78/wear
Nude wedges by Cole Haan, $10.90/wear
Gold chain necklace (Ann Taylor), $2.00/wear

Outfit total: $22.07/wear

Yep, I can truthfully say that I would not have put this together in...well, maybe in a million years, but not in a human lifetime.


What do you think, Leo?  I've got some spot action going here.  Approve?

As long as the outfit doesn't interfere with dinner, he's okay with it.

In other news...At work, we are currently in the process of upgrading our data visualization software, and I am tasked with checking that our visualizations are not screwed up when moved to the updated version, so I've been doing side-by-side comparisons on my handy-dandy two-monitor set up.

I was looking at a dashboard called The Big Six (that has been added to so that it has 9 rather than the original 6 worksheets, so I joke that it's named like an athletic conference) that has a visualization of the location of incidents.  And for this past year, the visualization had 55,160 incidents that occurred at location NULL and no other locations anywhere else (this happened in both the old and new versions of the software so it was clearly a data issue).

I turned to my office mate, who knows the data entry process on these data better than anyone, and told her what I was seeing and asked if she knew what had happened.  Had people stopped entering the incident locations?

Apparently the database has limitations on the values that could be entered for the original location field (set by the company who developed this industry-specific information system), so the front-end guy had to create a custom field in the database with the broader list of location options and hide the original location field so staff wouldn't accidentally use it instead.  (And we are still pointing to the original field in our visuals, hence the null values--i.e., missing data.)  I laughed and said, "I should have guessed that the original field was hidden because you know better than anyone that it is utterly impossible to get such consistent data entry from people on these incidents!"  Seriously, even if they'd been threatened with public flogging if they entered something in the original location field, I would have expected about 10,000 of those incidents to have data there.

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

So true on the data entry. And awwwwww, sweet Leo.

Sally said...

Leo is so young in that photo!