Thursday, July 28, 2016

Politician Style + Hare

"A Fan of the Mint"--Thursday, 7/28/16

One way in which most fashion bloggers and I differ (other than my unique ability to create sartorial echoes backwards through time and my inability to cuff/roll/etc. my jeans without looking like I've just stepped out of the late '80s) is that I do not own a white polka dot top.  I have several tops with white polka dots but the background fabric is the darker color.

In this Reverse Inspiration instance, I can see why Claire used such a top to complement the blue bottoms and mint cardigan.  Not because she was having a blonde moment...

From idodeclaire.blogspot.com

...nor because this inspiration traveled 2 and a half years into the past.

Because really, it's likely that she (like most people) does not have a navy/mint shell top with a fan print.  Strange, isn't it.  (I checked and yes, I did have this top at the time she wore that outfit.)


Mint-aqua 3/4 sleeve cardigan (thrifted, Studio Works), $2.62/wear
Navy/mint fans shell (Nordstrom), $9.75/wear
Navy skirt (thrifted, Liz Claiborne), $1.25/wear
Blue/green/pearl statement necklace (Target), $3.29/wear
Light grey wedges by BCBGeneration, $5.83/wear

Outfit total: $22.74/wear

OK, yeah, it's not so strange that this is not a popular item, nor is it considered a wardrobe staple.  Because it's actually kind of a bitch coming up with new ways to wear it.  It is not the most difficult thing I own to remix (thankfully I do have many navy colored items) but it's up there on the list. 

After wearing it today, I realized that in almost any situation I'd wear this shirt, I'd rather wear its sister the navy/teal birds top or my new navy rabbit blouse.  So farewell, mint fans--I hope you find an appreciative purchaser at Goodwill.


In other news...I enjoyed this article about how female political leaders like Angela Merkel, Hilary Clinton, and Theresa May are redefining power dressing.  (Note: my cardigan today is almost precisely the same color as the jacket they show Angela Merkel wearing.  I love the leopard kitten heels Theresa May is wearing.)

Also this essay from The Economist's sister publication, 1843, on Donald Trump and the downfall of the men's suit.

AND the airport security essay that had Robert and me laughing while I tried to read it to him.  "The fishing-vest fiasco" and the "Marmite meltdown" are priceless.

I didn't see any articles on politician hair styles (though, hello, Donald Trump, you look like the ass you are!), so I thought I would share this visual on hare styles.  Even when rabbits are the identical unusual, gorgeous color, the texture of the fur matters a lot.  Compare the jersey wooly on the left with the mini rex on the right.  Hare as different as can be.

Wild and wooly (left) and a smooth operator (right).
I think these buns have the lilac otter coloration.  The solid dark fur with white showing underneath (the "tan" pattern of tans and otters) is from the recessive at gene.  The lilac color comes from the recessive bb genes that make a rabbit brown instead of black and the recessive dd genes that dilute the brown to lilac.  So pretty! 

2 comments:

Mom said...

I love the color of these rabbits! Who doesn't like lavender?

Sally said...

I know, so fabulous!