Sunday, July 3, 2016

Happy Punday

Feeling a bit better today overall, though I am hating this moderate-to-intense aching in my legs.  (I generally find that Tylenol earns its keep by reducing body aches, but I guess my current condition is just a bit too much for the drug to have an appreciable effect.)  I can tolerate feeling wimpy and (not overly) sick, but I am so done with feeling pain right now. 

I went to lie down in bed earlier, hoping that a flat position would relieve the aches, but it didn't have any effect and I was very unsatisfied--I felt like a rabbit who flops down, then finding the position insufficiently flop, gets up and flops again, more strongly.  But in my case, the re-flop didn't help.  However, I did find myself taking a hint from Superbaby--when in doubt, napzzzzzzz--so I got to escape conscious awareness of the aching for a while.

Luckily I am in the middle of a pretty engrossing book, which is keeping me occupied and distracted.  The Fifth Gospel by Ian Caldwell is a literary thriller (i.e., lost manuscript + murder novel), which is a genre I generally like.  You know--a previously unknown Shakespearean play comes to light and people are killing over it, an old diary reveals the location of a lost treasure, somebody unearths an ancient treatise on alchemy that has uncanny power, a Coptic papyrus fragment stuns the world with the words, "Jesus said unto them, My wife...." (oh wait, that wasn't a novel).  So far, The Fifth Gospel is one of the best ones of the genre I have read.  But the second half can always turn disappointing!

"Steampunk Hatter"--Sunday, 7/3/16

In this post on stylish work outfits with tweaks, Bridgette shows how to play up a print by substituting a colorful cardigan and shoes for black ones. 

From bridgetteraes.com

I did the same kind of thing only with a simple black, light blue, and red weekend outfit.  This is perhaps my most pathetic inspiration photo to Sally outfit translation (especially since I am wearing a graphic T and not a print), but I am glad to have gotten 3 items from my 'cost per wear' list into this outfit...and to debut the Hatter tank from the Disney Alice collection at Kohls.

I decided to give this an "oh my gears and whiskers" aspect by adding the White Rabbit pocket watch, which lands smack in the middle of the heart.  ("Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!" is one of the White Rabbit's most famous lines.)



Black knit hiking skirt (Patagonia/REI), $3.53/wear
*Light blue Hatter tank (Disney Alice/Kohls), $24.00/wear
Red cardigan (JNY), $4.88/wear
White Rabbit pocket watch pendant (Zad), $3.58/wear
Red buckle flats by Me Too, $2.23/wear

Outfit total: $38.22/wear

3 comments:

Jen M. said...

I'm glad Superbaby's napzzzzzz are catching on. Love the graphic t. I've decided to get a copy of Alice in Wonderland to read the little one. We are still working through Winnie the Pooh now, one chapter a day.

mom said...

I really liked The Fifth Gospel and glad you're enjoying it, too. Sounds like you are slowly getting back to normal. Won't normal be something to celebrate?!

Sally said...

Jen, I tell you, Superbaby is a genius! And I love that you're reading Winnie the Pooh to him. I always associate Winnie the Pooh with you. Of course I appreciate you getting him started on Alice at an early age.

Mom, I will be so happy to be back to normal.