Monday, July 25, 2016

Big Star and Small Fan

"Lookin' Good in Floral Reeds"--Monday, 7/25/16

Looking for floral top outfit inspiration for my new t-shirt, I came across this interesting pattern mix + bold cardigan, a look that was styled for our blogger by another blogger as part of a "paper dolls" project.

From shealennon.com

She noted that she felt like a "big star" but failed to make any Alex Chilton references.  Oh well.  As usual, I guess it's up to me.  I don't have long brown hair, a mini skirt, a low cut gown, jewels, fur, or high heel shoes.  But I'm still lookin' good in my own way...where that way is pattern mixing and bright pink in an outfit acceptable for a summer business casual workplace.  Also as usual.


*White/purple/pink floral top (thrifted, JNY), $3.74/wear
Black and white geometric reeds skirt (JCP), $3.77/wear
Bright pink short-sleeved cardigan (JCP), $5.10/wear
Black and white floral necklace (Kohls), $2.00/wear
*Burgundy suede flats (thrifted), $6.99/wear

Outfit total: $21.60/wear

I'm even doing a triple floral today with the necklace, top, and flats.  I am unstoppable.


I was very pleased to find these shoes on a recent Goodwill trip.  They have a bit more support than a ballet flat (as you can see from the sideways photo, they aren't completely flat), they are in a color I don't already have, and they sport a fun flower on the toes.  I love how the flower consists not only of the petals but also those middle bits where the flower's work gets done.


In other news...Today my office reached the level of unacceptable warmth--about 82 F by 11 a.m.  It was warm enough that my office mate finally wanted to put the fan on oscillate, so I lost my "personal" fan (by which I mean that I had it blowing only on me, not that it is my fan; it is actually a fan loaned to us by a co-worker who had an extra one in her office) and overheated.  This evening Robert and I went to Target and bought me a fan of my own to take to work tomorrow so my office mate and I can both enjoy full-on fan action.  The way our desks are arranged, we each got the very end of the oscillation cycle, while most of the time the fan was cooling our imaginary visitors standing in the doorway area (and the occasional real visitor). 

After complaining about the inadequate air conditioning, I also found out from my office mate that there once was a time that our building was normally air conditioned, but that some years ago, they changed air conditioning practices as a cost cutting measure.  So in some ways, it's even sadder--we could have reasonable indoor temperatures, but we don't.  They did the same to the heating in the winter, but I haven't noticed that to be much of a problem in my office, though I know people on the floor above us routinely wear coats and fingerless gloves on cold days.

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

A coworker showed me her personal fan with a cool mister that she just got today. It's generally comfortable at work but I guess she overheats in some conference rooms, especially when packed with people.

Sally said...

With a mister--nice! By contrast, our big meeting rooms downstairs, where people in suits might go, are actually air conditioned. I have some training next week in one of them that I'm excited about in part for that reason! ;)