Friday, January 29, 2016

Tired

...Again or Still--Thursday, 1/29/16

Dark green, beige, and a tan leopard print are a lovely combination. 

From bureauofchic.com
I didn't have the right type of jacket to replicate the beige/tan aspect of her outfit, so I went with more black and brought in blue with the scarf.


Kelly green knit dress (Lands End), $9.00/wear+
Black velvet blazer (thrifted, Talbots), $0.71/wear
Black tights
Leopard smoking slippers by Clarks, $2.27/wear
White/blue/green paisley/floral scarf (Target), $0.86/wear

Outfit total: $12.84/wear

A very different result compared to the original, but I still liked the green/leopard against this darker palette.


In other news...I felt crappy in the morning and almost didn't go to work, but I decided that I could probably manage it, and I did.  But going to work and washing my hair before bed was all I was up for.  This weekend of flop cannot come soon enough.

5 comments:

Tam said...

In school we were taught that the cost of developing code is only something like 10 or 25% of the total cost of that code - the rest of it is the cost of maintaining it over time. So it's super duper important to keep those future maintainers and people who will want to build on your code in mind when you're doing this shit. I mean, you know, duh.

Sally said...

Interesting--I wouldn't have guessed that the maintenance aspect was that much of the cost, but it makes sense when I think about how long I have spent trying to figure his shit out vs. then doing the analysis myself.

My office mate and I have decided that this guy was acclimated to an environment in which he did his stuff and nobody else ever saw his code [does it help that he got his PhD and immediately went to work at my office? nope, he definitely picked up that lone-soldier thing that academics often have] AND that he was all about getting this thing done, then moving onto the next thing, and not really thinking about the future. (To be fair to him, he was over-worked when my office mate joined the staff and started to take on some of his work.)

But even if he (wrongly, IMO) never thought about the poor schlubs who would come along later and try to replicate his analysis etc., he wasn't doing HIMSELF any favors with his habits. Yes, this is why, when I've tried to figure out what he was doing, have more than once come to the conclusion that he did something one way in one year and a different way in the next year (all presented together in a trend graph--wheeeee!).

Debbie said...

Wow, Tam. At my last job when they finally realized that maintenance is part of having a system, they delegated 25% of work hours to maintenance. And they needed 75% to 95%? Yikes! And my dumb-head uber boss came from a programming background! (I later heard he was a terrible programmer, too. I also know he lied on his application.)

Sadly, maintenance does not look good on one's resume like developing new stuff does. Nor does making it easy for others to maintain by writing elegant, efficient code with clear commenting.

Tam said...

I should probably clarify what I mean by "maintenance." I mean things like, after software is released, continuing to fix bugs, and to add features. If you haven't written the software so that it's easy to understand and modify, then doing those things takes much more time than it otherwise would.

Debbie said...

That's pretty much what I mean by "maintenance" as well. Especially when the Legislature mandates that you must add features.