Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday Hallelujah

Sometimes You Just Go With Simple--Friday, 1/29/16

Occasionally I'll come across an inspiration photo with the exact same item I own--in this case, the red/blue/white diamond print blouse from Target. 

From ie-style.com

I tried wearing my blouse with a gold chain necklace, but it looked a bit fussy to me.  I'm also not one for belting over cardigans.  So in the end, I didn't really take much from this photo other than the idea, Hey, I should wear that blouse!  I should wear it with black on top!  And so I did...with a polka dot blazer for a bit of pattern mixing and with no necklace, which is very unusual for me.  I tried some different things, but in the end, I liked the simplicity of this version best.


Blue/red/white diamond print blouse (thrifted, Target), $2.00/wear+
Black polka dot blazer (thrifted, Talbots), $4.87/wear
Straight leg jeans (thrifted, Bandolinoblu), $0.44/wear
Red buckle flats by Me Too, $2.82/wear

Outfit total: $10.13/wear

To make up for the lack of necklace, I wore a pair of statement earrings that I bought during the Christmas sales.  Along with my red shoes, I thought this punched things up sufficiently.


In other news...So glad to have this week over with!  The knowledge that I didn't have to go to work tomorrow was enough for me to conjure up the will to walk on the treadmill while Robert and I watched the first episode of Death in Paradise (which I thought was called Murder in Paradise, so I initially had trouble finding it on Netflix streaming).  It was fun, and I look forward to seeing more episodes.  Oh, the little gecko that lives in Poole's house is so cute!  I hope we get to see a lot more of him in the future.

I've been listening to the soundtrack from the Broadway show Hamilton a LOT this week.  I read about it some time ago in The Economist and then Tam was raving about it, too.  Proof that sometimes music that is crazy popular is actually really good (see also: the soundtrack from O Brother Where Art Thou?). 

I don't have a favorite but right now I really love "Cabinet Battle #1" in which Alexander Hamilton gives Thomas Jefferson a richly deserved dressing down.  Hamilton has proposed the creation of a national bank and the assumption of the states' debts.

Jefferson is opposed:

Ooh, if the shoe fits, wear it
If New York’s in debt—
Why should Virginia bear it? Uh! Our debts are paid, I’m afraid
Don’t tax the South cuz we got it made in the shade

In Virginia, we plant seeds in the ground
We create. You just wanna move our money around...


Hamilton replies:

Thomas. That was a real nice declaration
Welcome to the present, we’re running a real nation
Would you like to join us, or stay mellow
Doin’ whatever the hell it is you do in Monticello?
If we assume the debts, the union gets
A new line of credit
, a financial diuretic
How do you not get it? If we’re aggressive and competitive
The union gets a boost. You’d rather give it a sedative?
A civics lesson from a slaver. Hey neighbor
Your debts are paid cuz you don’t pay for labor
“We plant seeds in the South. We create.”
Yeah, keep ranting
We know who’s really doing the planting
And another thing, Mr. Age of Enlightenment Don’t lecture me about the war, you didn’t fight in it You think I’m frightened of you, man? We almost died in a trench While you were off getting high with the French Thomas Jefferson, always hesitant with the President Reticent—there isn’t a plan he doesn’t jettison Madison, you’re mad as a hatter, son, take your medicine Damn, you’re in worse shape than the national debt is in Sittin’ there useless as two shits Hey, turn around, bend over, I’ll show you
Where my shoe fits


A line useful for a lot of situations: "Sometimes it makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder."

4 comments:

Tam said...

My favorite line from that soundtrack, so far, and it's all about the intonation, is in "Aaron Burr, Sir" when Hamilton says, "He looked at me like I was stupid - I'm NOT stupid."

My research partner is a big fan of "Call me 'son' one more time!"

Tam said...

I also like when Hamilton says, "Show me where the AMMUNITION'S at!" and then gets shy.

Debbie said...

I'm not sure you get to see a lot of the little gecko that lives in Poole's house, but you do get to see it many times and it is one of the characters that lasts the longest.

Sally said...

Tam,

I like the song "Wait for It" a lot, too. (I love the little pause that makes you, you know...)

And of course "You'll Be Back" is a very amusing take on the classic stalker love song.

Debbie, I will settle for the chance to see him over a longer period of time.