Monday, January 25, 2016

Marooned

Falling in Winter--1/25/16

I fell hard for this fall outfit as soon as I saw it...and then didn't get around wearing it until winter because unseasonal style is my fashion hallmark.

From StyleUp.com

But I think it's a look worth waiting for.


Maroon knit blazer (Lands End), $5.00/wear+
Dark microcheck skirt (thrifted, Banana Republic), $1.25/wear
White long-sleeved T (Walmart), $0.45/wear
Black/blue/orange floral/brushstroke infinity scarf (Kohls), $5.59/wear
Black leggings
Tall black boots by Fitzwell, $3.28/wear

Outfit total: $15.57/wear

The trickiest part of recreating this outfit was choosing the right scarf.  Though I loved her striped scarf, I didn't have anything like it.  However, I was surprised to see how well this floral/brushstroke scarf worked with the maroon blazer, white top, and black bottom half.  I would not have automatically thought orange + maroon = awesome, but it does.  Seeing the orange in the inspiration scarf made me give this combination a try.


A while back, my office mate mentioned that her (16 or 17 year old) daughter doesn't like infinity scarves (though she got one from her aunt for Christmas and was nice about it).  Because I also used to not be a fan of them [because they are less versatile than long scarves], I asked why she doesn't like them, and my office mate said that she seems to associate them with "an older generation."  I guess I can see the connection between scarves and older women in general, since scarves are a classic accessory for older women who want to look Parisian and chic and/or cover up necks that they don't like so much anymore.  But I actually think of infinity scarves as being an accessory of younger women (e.g., every female undergrad at my PhD university), as opposed to the long or square silk scarf donned by fashionable older ladies this one.


From mastermodels.com

In other news...This blog post makes me want to read Nora Ephron's book of essays I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Essays on Being a Woman.  This book didn't connect with me when it came out in the summer of 2006 and I was a mere youth of 32, but now...yeah, I get it.  I don't feel at all bad about about my neck, actually, but I'm old enough now, and have experienced enough physical change, to relate to the idea that an aging body is a thing.

One piece of happy news is that despite the subtitle of this post, I haven't yet (knock wood) slipped and fallen on slippery ice this winter.  Today we had RAIN OF ALL THE CRAZY THINGS (and a very small bit of snow later) and I was worried that the sidewalks/roads would be slick, but it turned out all right.

No comments: