Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Defuzzed

Plaid Bad Ass--Tuesday, 1/19/16

Another plaid skirt clothing manufacturer advertisement, though this woman's activity (standing) appears pretty plausible to me (though she does look to be in a breeze).  Granted, this is a kind of boring styling choice, but wearing all black does let the red and black patterned skirt stand out.

From llbean.com

I followed their lead and wore my thrifted new-with-tags houndstooth tweed skirt (another unseasonable June purchase) with all black...


*Black and red houndstooth tweed skirt (thrifted, Casual Corner), $2.50/wear+
Black wool pullover sweater (thrifted, Calvin Klein), $2.50/wear+
Black moto vest (JCP), $4.25/wear
Black leggings
Tall black boots by Fitzwell, $3.39/wear
Red scarf (Target), $1.50/wear+

Outfit total: $14.14/wear

...and a red scarf because that much black is just too much for me.


I used my new "battery operated fabric defuzzer" ($14 at Amazon, 4.5 star average with over 1450 reviews) on this pilling wool sweater from Goodwill and it worked like a champ.  I can't say that the sweater is now fully as good as new, but it's at least 90% as good as new (and all the slight wear/pilling that remains is under the arms where the wool rubs), and that's enough for me, given that I paid $5 instead of $70+ for it.  Too bad for the previous owner that she didn't know the Secret of the Sweater Shaver.

This moto vest from my birthday JCP order is making its blog debut, though I wore it twice during my Christmas vacation and once as a last minute extra layer to work.  It's a great layering piece.  I love my (also JCP) black moto jacket, so getting a vest version for increased temperature flexibility seemed like a good idea.

And anything with the term "moto" automatically toughens up any outfit.  I mean, that LL Bean model looks just fine, but she doesn't exactly look ready for serious action, you know?  In my moto vest, though, when faced with Rodents of Unusual Size, I will be hopping onto my motorcycle climbing into my luxury automobile and getting the hell outta the Fire Swamp!

No comments: