Thursday, January 21, 2016

Bunnies + Blazer

Rabbit Redux All Over Again--Thursday, 1/21/16

I liked the idea of wearing a black blazer with a "sweet" dress (one with a cute pattern and a fuller skirt).  And do I ever have a sweet dress...

From bridgetteraes.com

BUNNIES!  But bunnies partly obscured by a sweater vest and a knit blazer.  That makes it totally professional, right?  Eh, who cares, I'm wearing it anyway!  One of the advantages of my current job/employer is that we do not have to wear anything like a strictly "professional" wardrobe.  A rabbit shirt dress is completely acceptable.  One of my co-workers complimented me on this dress today.  No one can resist the adorable bunnies.


Black/beige rabbit dress (eShakti), $11.67/wear
Black ponte knit blazer (Target), $2.08/wear
*White sweater vest (thrifted, Casual Corner), $4.50/wear+
Black tights
Black heeled Oxfords (thrifted), $0.71/wear
Seed pearl necklace by RB+

Outfit total: $18.96

It may surprise you that I don't wear this dress more often (I mean, even adjusting for the strictures of the Work the Wardrobe Challenge), but it's as much artwork as it is clothing for me.  It hangs on the door outside my bathroom so I see it all the time.  It's like a piece of fabric wall art in my household that I sometimes wear.  It's one of the things that makes The Warren The Warren.

In other news...I have never read the Rabbit series by John Updike, including the second book in the series I referred to in my sub-title.  But the last two books in this series (Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest) won the Pulitzer Prize, making him "one of only three writers to have won two Pulitzer Prizes for Fiction, the other two being..."--do you know?  I didn't.

The first one makes sense (I have read two of his novels--neither of which were the winners, by the way--more than once and easily consider him one of America's essential writers) but the second one?  I feel like I've barely heard of him, though I do remember this book (which I have not read, nor seen the rather famous film adaptation of) from my days of studying American lit.  In the Wikipedia description of his second Pulitzer-winning novel, I love this line:  'The next day, Alice goes on an errand for her father into town, passing Frincke's Business College on the way with a shudder (as she sees it as a place that drags promising young ladies down to "hideous obscurity").'  I guess I'm a sucker for anything that depicts business school in a negative light!

Did you know that John Updike wrote The Witches of Eastwick (on which the 1987 movie was based)?  Huh.  I think I'm going to have to read that.  As for the Rabbit series...I don't know.  It seems a bit odd to me that I haven't read them (not because of the "rabbit" aspect but because I have read plenty of other white male American writers of the period.  The only book of his I have read is Gertrude and Claudius (based on Hamlet, as you might expect), which I did appreciate a lot...I probably appreciated it more than I enjoyed it, if that makes sense. 

2 comments:

Tam said...

I'm confusing Booth Tarkington with a football player. I need Robert to come along and tell me which one.

rvman said...

Hall of Fame QB Fran Tarkenton of the Minnesota Vikings.