Monday, January 11, 2016

Another Fucking Week

Reading Outfit--Monday, 1/11/16

Ah yes, there is nothing I like better than settling in to read an engrossing novel by sitting on a narrow fence rail!  I tell you, Modcloth has really captured a slice of life in this advertisement (which I saw on Pinterest).  This is an image to recreate...

From modcloth.com

...using a new tan plaid skirt I bought at Goodwill last June (it's a flannel-type fabric, so I've been waiting for cold weather) and my useful burgundy cashmere sweater and not sitting on a fucking rail with a book already.


*Tan plaid skirt (thrifted, Target), $3.75/wear+
Burgundy cashmere pullover sweater (Macy's), $16.00/wear
Beige/pink bird scarf (Kohls), $1.87/wear
Burgundy tights
Tall cognac boots by Sam Edelman, $15.83/wear
Not pictured: Black moto vest (JCP), $5.66/wear  [added at the last minute in anticipation I needed it given the -5 F temperature when I left for work; glad I did]

Outfit total: $43.11/wear

But maybe she's just taking a load off for a moment as she consults her 1897 edition of The Field Guide to Things Living Out of Doors.  While she's at it, she could look up the birds on this lovely scarf for me.


Actually, I do love Modcloth.  Their clothes are charming, with a somewhat twee vintage vibe, and some/many of them come in a good range of sizes (e.g., the same skirt is available in sizes S through 4X).  I also like that they feature plus-size models regularly on their site (the first model I saw when I went to modcloth.com just now is plus-size).  They also allow customers to upload outfit photos, which are linked to on the page for the individual items, which is very cool.  But I feel like wearing an actual thrifted (if not vintage) skirt is almost more true to the brand than wearing one of their skirts.

AND YET...check out their "It Had to Be Mew" skirt!  Adorbs, no?  You are probably not going to find this at the thrift store.  It could be yours for $49 if you wear an XXL.


In other news...You know, when someone asks me mid-day on Monday whether I have time to do something "this week," I think they mean "by Friday," not "by 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday for a meeting that had already been scheduled when I asked you about this the first time."

No comments: