Monday, May 23, 2016

Yet More May Flowers

"Condemned Barbie"--Monday, 5/23/16

You know I can't get enough of stripes + floral print.  I liked this sassy yellow combo from a short post about pattern mixing.  Rule #3--"Use your imagination."

From lamoumous.blogspot.com

I don't have any yellow pants or skirt, so I used my imagination and substituted a bright pink skirt and pink floral top.  I think the result has much the same effect as the original only more Barbie and less sunshiny.  (And pink works better with my uber-pale skin tone, too.)


Black and pink floral blouse (212/Kohls), $5.00/wear
Black and white striped knit blazer (Nordstrom), $5.90/wear
Bright pink skirt (JCP), $1.64/wear
Black pointy toed-flats (Nordstrom), $2.17/wear

Outfit total: $14.71/wear

I was amused to read that back in the day, stripes on clothing were reserved for "prisoners, clowns, prostitutes, hangmen, and all the condemned."  In this outfit I am condemned...to pattern mixing awesomeness!


These are some flowers I photographed a couple weeks ago at the wildlife refuge.
 

In other news...After a sort of rough weekend, it was not fun to wake up with a headache again (still?) today, but I had a project to finish this morning that meant calling in sick was a non-option.  So caffeinated iced tea (the magickal elixir) to the rescue!  I had a productive day but was very glad when it was time to come home.  One of the things that sucks a lot about my recent spate of headaches is that I really can't exercise at all when I have one.  Even slight exertion causes exaggerated head-pounding feelings of doom.  I thought I was going to black out at one point this weekend after having the audacity to put a load of laundry into the washer--bending down and standing up straight again is not a happy thing for me at the best of times, but with a headache, it can mean a period of head-splitting pain accompanied by faintness.  Everybody's idea of a good time, no?

I have a feeling it's going to a headache-prone week because we have rain expected more days than not (and rain usually = headaches).  But maybe the rain will keep the pollen down?  I don't know.  I am holding out hopes that the upcoming 3 day weekend (!) will compensate in some way for my recent headache-so-not-much-fun experiences.

But on a much more positive note:  My school friend L.--who is probably my oldest friend in the sense that we were best friends in elementary school--has been in the ICU for a couple of weeks now with a life-threatening systemic infection.  But she is no longer in a coma! 

I have had the old Smiths song "Girlfriend in a Coma" stuck in my head, and it's been frustrating that I haven't been able to tell L. how funny and irritating that is because she is the one person I know who would really get it.  (Our friendship has been very strongly marked by our shared interest in music--watching MTV, visiting music stores, going to clubs and concerts, exchanging mix tapes, and all that.)  Have you checked in with mid-80s era Morrissey lately?  Back in the day, I just thought he was an adult.  Now, it's like, Holy Hell, he is a kid!  (OK, he is a very youthful looking 28 in that video.  Still.)

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

I have had two amazing friends in the ICU with similarly sudden, life-threatening situations. Luckily they both pulled through as well. It's terrifying. I'm relieved to hear that L is doing better.

Sally said...

Oh no, Jen--how frightening! I'm glad they're doing OK!