Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Leveling at Work

"Fashion Trend Collision"--Tuesday, 5/3/16

I picked this inspiration photo because I wanted to wear my floral square silk scarf again while it's still in style this spring.  (I'll still do it even when it's not trendy, of course, but it's convenient when your styling can be mistaken as fashionable.)  I'm not very concerned about air-hostess or cowboy associations either (though I do see where they're coming from).

From fakefabulous.com

I'm irritated because I bought the perfect-fitting grey knit top at Goodwill and it faded around the neckline noticeably the second time I washed it.  Obviously that is what was meant to be worn for this outfit!  But since I'm now back in "need a plain grey knit top" mode again, I used a grey striped top instead.  That worked fine but...GRRR stupid Eddie Bauer doesn't know how to make knits that don't fade horribly even when washing them in cold water WTF.


Grey/white striped top (Kohls), $1.42/wear
Navy pants (Dockers), $2.05/wear
Navy sleeveless cardigan vest (thrifted, Tommy Hilfiger), $0.54/wear
Blue/maroon floral silk scarf (thrifted, Art Institute of Chicago), $3.75/wear
Blue pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom), $2.50/wear

Outfit total: $10.26/wear

OK, the subtle pattern mixing of the stripes + floral print is kind of making my day, so I guess that worked out after all.  (Though it does feel a bit odd to be wearing striped top + printed scarf two days in a row.)


Over and over, I have the experience that an outfit looks OK but I really want to add a vest or cardigan or blazer to it--and when I do, I'm like, Yes, that's right.  That's what happened with this outfit, too.  Then this afternoon I read a blog post that described (yet another) Rule of 3.

Basically, you usually wear two pieces: a top and a bottom. If you add a third piece (whether that’s an actual piece of clothing like a cardigan, jacket, blazer- whatever!) or an accessory that’s big enough to read as a third piece visually, like a scarf, statement necklace, or hat, you’ll look more pulled together instantly.

Of course, with the scarf, I was kind of already doing the Rule of 3.  Perhaps my personal style requires a Rule of 4.  (That would be appropriate.)

In other news...Late this afternoon I had a big breakthrough on a project at work.  I am already scheduled to show some work in our developer meeting tomorrow morning and now I will be able to add an extra blast of awesome to my presentation.  I not only leveled today in Data Blending but I earned two achievements.



We have done a lot of great things with our new analytics tool, and if we stopped development today, we would be light years ahead of where we were.  But our hope/dream has been that we would eventually be able to report across multiple content domains in one place--something that sounds easy but is very challenging due to how our data is structured. 

Now I have data in two content domains in one place at the customer level, which is very exciting, AND I have it at two levels of disaggregation--one that allows you to sort and identify customers by their overall performance (based on the combination of multiple metrics) and another that, with the click of the mouse, pulls up the area specific performance metrics for that customer so that you have a basis for determining what kind of interventions are needed.  I still have a lot of work to do, but I have the basic structure in place to make this happen.

I'm looking forward to whipping this into shape and getting my new set into user acceptance testing because if their minds were blown by the last set (and they were--I thought a couple people might vibrate into another dimension with their excitement)...man, I don't even know what's going to happen with these.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Your work news sounds very exciting, though I don't understand it. I love beating expectations. So fun! And also useful!

But say it ain't so about Eddie Bauer. That's one of the highest quality companies from which I wear clothing. Even worse, it should have already passed the washing test if you got it at a thrift store. :-(

And finally, yes, a rule of four sounds good. Especially with some of your shoes!

Sally said...

I know, the Eddie Bauer thing is so confusing! But I've only experienced this issue with their knits--both knit tops from there have had the massive fading problem. Woven fabrics have held up just fine.

I guess the Rule has already been demonstrated for n=3. Maybe I can show it for n=4 and write my dissertation on it ;)

Anonymous said...

Almost the only things I have from Eddie Bauer are knit shirts. They seem okay, though.

Heh, dissertation. A humorous dissertation could be fun, though. I once co-wrote (with a friend/classmate) a humorous chapter for my (horrible) psychology book on personality. Each chapter was a different theory and all the theories had serious flaws like their tenants weren't testable. So we made up our own equally crappy theory, the Bat-Theory of Adolescent Personality Development. It had concepts like bat-polism, where teenagers try on different roles on the way to adulthood.

Debbie M said...

Weird, the above comment was from me, Debbie.

Sally said...

Debbie, there is probably no ape-shit-crazy theory you and your friends could come up with that would be the craziest personality theory there ever was. It's a competitive area :)

I hope your luck with E.B. continues. I will probably continue taking my chances with thrift store purchases (which I agree, shouldn't the fading have happened to the previous owner???) but I'm feeling that the days of purchasing them retail are over.

Debbie said...

Heh.

Well, good to know. I wonder if I'll remember. :-) Urg, but that's the only store I like to go into when Robin wants to visit the outlet malls. I guess I can remember that!