Thursday, May 26, 2016

Teal and Golden Gophers

Have fun parsing that blog post title!

"Aqua Ruffles Like Waves in the Sea"--Thursday, 5/26/16

When I bought a short-sleeved aqua top during the Goodwill gift card trip (to replace one that I purged after deciding it was too short for many purposes), that made it possible for me to finally put together this extremely pleasing color combination. 


From allij28.polyvore.com

This inspiration is an August 2012 edition of "Outfits on a Teacher's Budget," so it's even more appropriate that I am incorporating a Goodwill shirt and a cardigan I got free from my mom as a hand-me-down.

OK, the shoes are not really "teacher's budget" shoes.  If I'd been creating this outfit with a lower price point in mind, I would have worn the grey leopard flats I bought from 6pm for about $14.  But yay, I'm not a teacher, and yay, I already bought these fancy shoes so it costs me absolutely NOTHING to wear them!


Grey V neck cardigan (Kohls/Mom)
Dark teal skirt (JCP), $1.81/wear
*Aqua ruffle neck knit top (thrifted, JCP), $4.49/wear
Grey leopard wedges by Cole Haan, $9.43/wear

Outfit total: $15.73/wear

This dark teal skirt is another MVP skirt from the Work the Wardrobe Challenge with 6 wears.

It's very hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that I now live in a place where ducks hang out in the summer.  This was the first blue-winged teal I've seen in some time.


In other news...I don't see how the Golden Gophers wrestling coach will keep his job after it's been discovered that he handled it "internally" when he learned that several team members were selling Xanax to fellow team-mates and other students from a dorm on campus.  The article reports him as saying to the team, "If you have any pills, bring them to my office and I’ll dispose of them, and I’ll give you amnesty."  The article also says that he "ordered suspected users to undergo mandatory urine testing and had them write a one-page essay."  (Yep, because writing a 1-page essay is a proven drug addiction recovery technique!)

One of the wrestlers on the team went the police.  It's pretty sad when a college kid has more sense and integrity than his coach in this sort of situation, but I guess the wrestler didn't have the same vested interest to protect.  As for the university, would the administration have been fine with the coach continuing to cover up and fundamentally not deal with felonies being committed (dealers) and reckless behavior being conducted (abusers) by his players?  If that one wrestler hadn't spoken to the press, would there have been a further cover up?

2 comments:

mom said...

It's amazing to me that anyone thinks they can get away with this. It seems to always come out one way or another. And, seriously, we ARE talking about felonies here. Felonies are crimes, people!

Sally said...

Yet another act of hubris.