Friday, May 20, 2016

Friday Monitoring

"Floral Colorblock"--Friday, 5/20/16

I like my light blue/black/white colorblock jacket, but it's not the most versatile item to style.

I was inspired by this combination of blue cardigan and black textured dress to try it with my black space dye skirt.

From forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

It's a good combination.


Light blue colorblock jacket (JNY), $7.42/wear
Black space dye skirt (Old Navy), $1.67/wear
Black silk shell (JNY), $7.50/wear
Medium blue flats by Sofft, $5.38/wear
*White/blue/yellow floral scarf (Target), $12.00/wear

Outfit total: $33.97/wear

I hadn't tried wearing the jacket with a scarf before, so I gave that a shot too.  I think it worked just fine.  I really like this scarf that I got from the Easter Bunny.  He has such good taste!


To continue with the white floral theme, here is another flowering bush/tree we saw at the state park recently.  Any ideas what these flowers are?

 
In other news...The highlight of my day was getting my second computer monitor at work set up!  I now have two large monitors side-by-side (set to extended mode so it's like a single gigantically wide monitor) and I'm already ecstatic about it.  The monitor came yesterday afternoon, and I asked our admin, So, do I put in a ticket with IT to get it installed? and she was like, Well... and she shrugged.  After about 15 minutes of looking at the cords, etc., with my office mate, I put in a ticket to our technology help desk.  This morning, the tech for our building came by and set it up in about 3 minutes.  So hurray for second monitors and hurray for leaving things to the professionals!  I seriously do not understand how I got by with one monitor all this time--with a lot of stupid resizing of windows and flipping back and forth and general nonsense, I guess.

The reason I got this second monitor at all was that my office mate has two (including one she almost never uses) and when she was talking about how she doesn't like the extended display mode, I was like, OMG, I have two monitors at home and I love it!  Later, when our department head came by to check in on our computer needs (for thinking about next year's budget), my office mate said, Sally needs a second monitor.  And our department head was like, Oh, you don't already have one! and she had the admin order me one on the spot.  So hurray for office mates that speak up for your needs for you, too!

This morning, before the monitor was set up, I had it lying facedown on my desk (my mechanical skills being precisely calibrated to allow me to attach the flat monitor to the monitor stand but nothing more).  A colleague came by to ask me something, and when he saw it, he said, What did that monitor do to you?  When I explained that it was new and I was waiting for IT to come hook it up, he kind of boggled, like how have I possibly been doing my job with only one monitor all this time?  I know, J., I know--it's hard to understand.

Now I'm all: Double the monitors, double the kick-ass!

It's all a far cry from my childhood, writing Basic programs on a TI 99-4A hooked up to a small black and white television set.

7 comments:

rvman said...

These days, dual monitors should be considered necessary standard equipment for anyone doing anything remotely analytical.

Tam said...

I like color blocking a lot. And I agree, two monitors for work is absolutely necessary. (I don't have any two-monitor setups right now, though.)

Sally said...

More monitors! More colorblocking!

Debbie said...

At my last long job, two monitors would have been nice--and I requested such for my replacement--but I didn't need it. By the time that was a thing, I was already familiar enough with things that I could flip back and forth between things and be able to remember what I needed to. So I didn't ask for a second one, mostly to save taxpayer money. But also slightly so I wouldn't get too spoiled. All my later jobs had the worst computer in the office. And at home I use a laptop. So it's just as well.

Sally said...

Using a laptop for real work is the worst!

Sally said...

I mean, you (Debbie) are retired so I'm not implying anything about your current situation--your comment just reminded me how much I hate working on my undocked laptop at work.

Debbie said...

Yep, laptops are not good for complex work. Fortunately, I rarely do that anymore. (Though Robin is still stunned at how many windows and tabs I have open all the time.)

And, um, I'm used to ancient technologies, so my laptop still seems good. I mean, I grew up liking white-out because it means you don't have to pull out the paper and start over! And then they invented yellow-out, blue-out, etc. So exciting!

Ahem.

Anyway, yes, congrats on your second screen at work. They are awesome!