Friday, May 13, 2016

Freaky Friday the 13th

"Light on the Mustard"--Friday, 5/13/16

The inspiration photo for this outfit has gone missing, but believe me, it was someone else's idea to pair mint with mustard, okay?

For the sake of argument, let's say it was this outfit.  (Actually, I think it might have been a different outfit by this same blogger because she works the mustard really hard. Hmm.)

From jseverydayfashion.com

Or hell, maybe it was Emeril with his mustard mint sauce.  I don't know.

I just know that my outfit used a lot of navy to tone down the mint/mustard aspect.  This would have been impossible without the scarf serving as a bridging piece.  (Yes, technically it is black, not navy, but the light blue + mustard is what really mattered.)  It was quite cool and rainy today so for a while I was almost too cold at work without socks...almost.


Mint/navy fans shell (Nordstrom), $13.00/wear
Navy ponte knit blazer (Target), $3.75/wear
Straight leg jeans (thrifted, Bandolinoblu), $0.13/wear
Black/light blue/mustard paisley scarf (Target), $3.00/wear
Mustard flats by Mia, $1.08/wear

Outfit total: $20.96/wear

In other news...Today I asked my supervisor how/when people whose positions are being eliminated in the upcoming layoffs (July 1) are being notified and he said that they have already been notified.  I have not been notified, so...huzzah!  I am not on the list!  However, because of weird, confusing, union-specific rules regarding seniority and bumping (which my supervisor couldn't assist me with because he is in a different union and because they aren't telling which people in our group are on the list, which makes sense), it's still not clear how all the dominoes are going to fall in June.  By my count, there are only 2 possible people who could bump me if they were laid off, plus my office mate, who definitely could bump me if she were laid off (though I cannot see a scenario in which they would eliminate her position instead of mine so I am 99% sure that if I'm not on the list, she's not on the list).  The two possibles also seem unlikely but I will need to check with my office mate again (who knows our union's rules very well) and maybe my union rep also if I'm still uncertain.  So the situation isn't settled at all, but my job feels a lot more secure now than it did yesterday.  This is good not only for the usual reasons but because I really like my job and want to continue doing it!  

It's been such an emotional roller coaster this week with various pieces of good and bad news trickling in, plus I've been tired and/or sick for a lot of the week, which makes me more reactionary anyway.

I can't tell how much is allergies and how much (if any) is catching the cold that's going around my office.  We got to breathe in a lot of pollen at the park last weekend, including some of this.  Is it ragweed??  Even after looking at the photos in this post, I can't tell.
 

3 comments:

rvman said...

Based on the link, I'd say, not ragweed, but not Goldenrod, either. The leaves on ours are serrated, but not 'fernlike'.

Tam said...

I'm glad you got some good (? probably ?) news about your job. It sucks to be totally at the whim of decisions that have little to do with how well you do your job or even how important it is.

Sally said...

Thanks, I think it is good news in the sense that it gives me reason to hope and not spend the next 6 weeks on a razor's edge.