Sunday, May 8, 2016

Spring Purples

"Dressing Like an Ostrich in Skinny Jeans"--Sunday, 5/8/16

It's not surprise that the Jacket Society's blog is a source of great blazer-styling inspiration, and this "favorite look" from June 2014 is no exception.  Is that grey check blazer marvelous or what?

From jacketsociety.com

I did a version of this look using my grey striped blazer and my grey ostrich graphic T that I don't wear as often as I should.


Grey ostrich graphic T (Kohls), $3.44/wear
Grey striped blazer (thrifted, Target), $1.25/wear
Black skinny jeans (thrifted, YMI), $2.62/wear
Grey leopard flats by Fergilicious, $0.67/wear

Outfit total: $7.98/wear

I'm really enjoying these black skinny jeans.  One thing I like about them is that the fabric is pretty stretchy and quite thin--much thinner than normal denim.  This makes them a nice option for the warmer seasons, but pairing them with tall boots should work in all but the coldest part of the winter.


It's good that I kept the leopard shoes and ostrich shirt separated by this expanse of leg because the Internet is teeming with videos of leopards hunting/killing ostriches.  (No, I am not linking to them because I don't want to see that.  If you want to watch that kind of thing, you know how to use google.)

In other news...A sign of spring--flowering trees!  There were many of these lovely purple ones blooming yesterday at the state park we visited.  I'm bad at identifying trees and flowers, so I'm not sure what it is.  But I like it!  (It's probably some horrible invasive species that is destroying the ecosystem...but it's pretty.)


However, there were no wildflowers blooming on the prairie yet.  Early May is still too soon for flowers here, except for dandelions, which are everywhere right now (and really, should we be so desperate as to count weeds?).  I do miss the ubiquitous wildflowers of spring in Texas.  As Lady Bird Johnson said in a 1965 interview:

I am particularly proud of the Texas highways, perhaps because I know more about them than I do other States. For about 30 years, we have had a wildflower-seed-planting program there which has really made it a glorious experience to drive across the State between about the middle of March and June. The roadsides are a carpet of color if there has been rain.

Southerners, I hope you are enjoying your springtime because Summer Is Coming!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Yes, indeed. I've been greatly enjoying our flowers and this year have even been noticing the aromas more. And I finally found out what plant is putting out a vaguely nutmeg-like scent. Well, not really, but it's the dark green ivy with millions of little white flowers.

And we have some friends throwing a beginning-of-summer party on May 29, which is always disconcerting because it's already been hot (though today is pleasant, in a cloudy, sprinkling-with-rain way).

Sally said...

Debbie, that's interesting that you mention the aromas. I think my allergies are typically bad enough that my sense of smell isn't the best in spring. That said, you reminded me that Robert and I did smell honeysuckle at the park...that was the only smell other than the smoky smell from a recent controlled burn.

Debbie said...

Bummer about your allergies. But I do like the smell of honeysuckle. And even of wood smoke.

Mom said...

Sally, the bushes with lavender flowers is lilac. There was a gigantic lilac bush in our front yard when I was growing up. I have always loved lilac, the flowers and the smell. My sisters and I would give our teachers (in grade school) a bouquet before school let out.

Sally said...

Awesome, thanks, Mom! That's a sweet story about your lilac bush. I think a lilac bouquet > an apple for the teacher any day.