Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Well Isn't That Appropriate

Mending Fail--Wednesday, 5/4/16

A bright pink velvet blazer seems like a winter/early spring garment, no?  But I saw this outfit and didn't want to wait to try out the combination, given how eager I am to wear this navy/pink top.

From savvy-southern.blogspot.com

So here I go again with a seasonally conflicted outfit.  But this is the coolest day we can expect for some time, so I'm going with it...or not.  Just before leaving for work, I realized that I had never mended the gap in the seam!  Argh.  So I had to switch out a cardigan at the last minute, which was absolutely more appropriate for the mid-60s weather we had today.


Bright pink velvet blazer (thrifted, Old Navy)
Bright pink t-shirt cardigan (Lands Ends), $4.29/wear
Pink/navy diamond shell (Nordstrom), $13.00/wear
Grey 5 pocket pants (Rafaella), $4.00/wear
Hammered silver necklace (JNY), $2.62/wear
Grey ribbon flats by Louise et Cie, $5.00/wear

Outfit total: $28.91/wear

Yep, pretend this is a bright pink cardigan and it's all good.  I will try this top/blazer/pants/shoes combination for realz when it's actually winter!


In other news...I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon and they decided to send me down to the lab for you know what.  I did remember to tell the technician up front that I always get light-headed and sometimes pass out, so she took me to a different room with a nice bed to lie on instead of a chair and gathered some extra stuff.  I did get very nauseated and light-headed but an ice pack under my neck, a small container of apple juice (that I drank in like 10 seconds), and several extra minutes lying down did the trick. 

When she was getting me set up, she did that thing techs sometimes do of talking to you about what they're doing to put you at ease, but after a few statements, I realized I didn't want to hear it, so I said, "I'm actually really phobic so I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about it."  And she was immediately agreeable and talked about something else. 

When I was gathering my stuff afterwards to leave, she said, "You were great.  Thanks for telling me about what you needed so we could have everything set up for you.  Come back to me any time!"  I thought that was very nice of her to say, because it's easy to feel a bit like "oh, I'm this terrible wimp patient that has all these extra needs for a routine b* test" and just try to white-knuckle it.  But in my experience, they really do appreciate it when you let them know the score so they can be ready for you rather than scrambling to help while you are falling into a faint and sliding out of your chair.  Self advocacy for the win!

A blog post I read this afternoon linked to this unfamiliar personality test, which of course I had to take.  I found that it was much harder to answer than the Myers Briggs test (which the test format resembles).

My scores looked like this:

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
8 2 3 3 5 5 4 5 1

Type 1 apparently has two different names (which is confusing): The Reformer and the Perfectionist.

World View: The world is an imperfect place. I work toward improvement.
Basic Desire: to be right
Basic Fear: of being condemned


So I totally failed to mend my jacket, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it.  You better not do so either!

8 comments:

rvman said...

Type 9 (Peacemaker) and Type 5 (Thinker/Observer). I agree and disagree with 9, I feel like 5 is pretty close to right.

Sally said...

Sally (Perfectionist): But I'm right!

Robert (Peacemaker): Yes.

Robert (Thinker/Observer): ...

Mom said...

My top one is The Skeptic with 7

I had 2 for 2nd with the Reformer and the Helper with 6

I don't know how accurate this is.

Sally said...

I think a Reformer/Helper combo sounds about right!

Jen M. said...

I'm type 1 followed closely by type 9.

Debbie said...

Top score (7 points) is Type 5 (The Thinker) - as expected. I am analytical, straightforward, curious, independent, etc.

Followed by a three-way tie (5 points) between Type 4 (Artist), Type 6 (Skeptic), and Type 9 (Peacemaker). Artist sounds wrong - I am not sensitive or perceptive, but I do like people to be happy and I know they are different so that what makes me happy will not necessarily work for them. Skeptic also sounds wrong - I am responsible and trustworthy, but not loyal. Peacemaker sounds right as a secondary trait.

It makes sense that my lowest score (1 point) is Type 8 (Leader) - I am not bossy and don't like making decisions about other people. I'm better at working to make other people's decisions come out okay. However, when all the leaders are incompetent, then I will happily take over leadership responsibilities.

Tam said...

My top one was 7 (The Adventurer, or The Generalist, which seems reasonably true), followed by 6 (The Skeptic, which doesn't seem to match at all), and then a tie between 2 (The Helper, which definitely fits) and 3 (The Motivator, doesn't fit at all).

Sally said...

Lots of 1s, 9s, and 5s in this group. Tam, you're an outlier with the Adventurer type, but I think that's a pretty reasonable fit for you.