Thursday, May 19, 2016

Little Sparrow

"Pink Piaf"--Thursday, 5/19/16

I liked the bright pink + polka dots idea here but decided to do something a little different from a black polka dot top...

From modern1modesty.blogspot.com

...especially since I have a new black pullover sweater to wear (part of my end-of-February, using-the-$100-gift-card Goodwill spree).  I replaced my wool one with a cotton one because--well, because that's what they had is the real reason, but I'm happy enough that my new one will be workable outside of the winter season.  And it's a bit over-sized so it will be easy to layer underneath it during the winter season.  A win-win.  Oh, and it's machine washable so I won't ruin it in the laundry after only a couple wears, I hope!


*Black pullover sweater (thrifted, Macy's), $4.49/wear
Bright pink skirt (JCP), $1.81/wear
Pink silk birds scarf (Nordstrom), $6.00/wear
Black pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom), $2.27/wear

Outfit total: $14.57/wear

I incorporated the polka dots by wearing this sparrow-printed scarf with polka dots along the edge, worn in that style that always says "mais oui" (which is infuriating because I don't speak French).  You know, I have seen (and own) quite a lot of bird prints, but sparrows are a very unusual one.  They're pretty dull little things by bird standards, so I get it that designers aren't all like, Well, we could do peacocks or stylized bluebirds or parrots...nah, let's do sparrows!  But I'm pleased by the sparrows on this scarf, and I enjoy the fact that this is a context where sparrows of all things seem rare.


Here's a photo of some (female) house sparrows for your consideration.  So yeah, the sparrows on the scarf, with their bright yellow fronts and black heads, are kind of jazzy when compared to other LBJs ("little brown jobs").

Making up in attitude what she lacks in coloration, probably scoffing at my pink because bright colors are for boys.

In other news...Investigating the French word for sparrow (moineau), I discovered that French singer Edith Piaf's original last name was Gassion, but she later received the nickname La Mome Piaf ("The Little Sparrow"), by which she is well-known in France.  Apparently piaf is a slang term for a sparrow or other small nondescript bird.

Have you seen the fantastic under-4-minute animated short "The Present"?  Check it out

5 comments:

Mom said...

I was not expecting that ending! That was really good.

Sally said...

Me neither! It was interesting how much it changed my reaction to everything that had happened before. I can see why it won a million awards.

Debbie said...

Once I noticed the interesting thing about the present, I did see the ending coming. I mean, that eyeroll said it all. But since I didn't even notice the interesting thing about the present for a while (and re-watching, I can see that it was perfectly clear), I can't really gloat, even if I were the sort to enjoy gloating.

Sally said...

Debbie, congrats on being both more clued-in and more clueless about the video :)

Debbie said...

Heh!