Wednesday, August 3, 2016

REW The Day

"Dotty Watermelon"--Wednesday, 8/3/16

Oh, Alice, rocking the double polka dots and a floral print!  Even with a rip in her shirt, she's on top of her game.  I took away the idea to mix a similarly-colored floral skirt with bright pink and green.

From happinessatmidlife.com

I switched the colors around to wear my relatively new bright pink short-sleeved cardigan.


Bright green short-sleeved T (thrifted, Target), $1.00/wear
Watermelon floral skirt (thrifted, Talbots), $1.00/wear
Bright pink short-sleeved cardigan (JCP), $3.82/wear
White polka dot scarf (Target), $2.03/wear
Nude wedges by Cole Haan, $9.22/wear

Outfit total: $17.07/wear

And as an homage to Alice, I wore a polka dot scarf.  It's only one set of polka dots, admittedly, but it felt right.  (Now that I have a pink polka dot cardigan, I will have to do a more faithful rendition of Alice's outfit wearing the cardigan with this skirt.  Noted.)


This scarf was my Work the Wardrobe Challenge Scarf MVP #2 with 6 wears.

White and pink are the signature colors of the REW (red-eyed white) rabbit.  The red eyes can give them a somewhat devilish appearance, but this little Polish is feigning innocence.  REW rabbits are albinos with all coloration suppressed by the recessive cc genes.  It's interesting, though, that even though the phenotype is a red-eyed white rabbit, the genotype will contain coloration information on other genes that can be expressed when a REW is bred with a completely colored (C_) rabbit.  Depending on the A gene (agouti or self), B gene (black or brown), D gene (dense or dilute color), etc., of the REW and its mate, you could end up with all kinds of different buns!

No really, I'm REW all the way down.

In other news...A researcher takes the controversial position that the student loan situation ("crisis") is not nearly as bad as it's made out to be in the media.

Today we had our second (final) day of training on the new data blending tool our department just purchased.  We were in a small conference room on our floor (3rd floor of 5), which was warm but there was a fan blowing so it was bearable.  (Note that I did lose the scarf around lunch time.)

Then at 2 pm we had to relocate to my manager's office (he is on vacation) and there was no fan plus too many people (8 of us squeezed in) and I was sitting in the direct sun.  After about an hour of this, 3 of us at the same time made a comment like, God, it's stifling in here.  So we all dispersed back to our own offices.  (By this point, the official training session was over and we were engaging in parallel play.)  When I walked into my office, it immediately felt several degrees cooler, and the thermometer indicated that it was 81 or 82 degrees in there.  So I'm guessing the other office was at least 85 degrees.  This is not an acceptable temperature for working in an office building, you know?

Fifteen minutes later, I still wasn't cooled down at all and I had a sudden onset headache complete with earache.  I mentioned this to my office mate and she instructed me to go home...so I did.  I was not going to argue.  Walking into my apartment with the thermostat set to 75 felt so, so good.  I immediately set the thermostat down to 70 to cool it for (a) immediate comfort and (b) so it would be cool enough for Robert and me to exercise reasonably comfortably...which we did!  After 8 miles on the exercise bike, I was pretty wobbly-legged but it was good to get back at it.  It's been so warm lately that I keep begging off from exercising.

We are getting a cold front with rain tomorrow that will bring the outdoor high temperature to 80 F or lower for the next few days.  This is an extremely welcome event in a place where A/C is often insufficient for anything resembling actual summer temperatures.

No comments: