Friday, August 5, 2016

Beginning of the Weekend, Not the Week

"Patriotic Hamburglar"--Friday, 8/5/16

In this March 2014 piece on How to Wear Weekend Pieces on Casual Fridays, Bridgette shows us how to work a denim skirt, with a weekend outfit on the left and a casual Friday outfit on the right.  Red top and striped blazer with a nice (not too short) denim skirt is a good combination.

From bridgetteraes.com

My version incorporates my incredibly bold striped knit blazer and teal ballet flats.  Bridgette is a big fan of green for a pop of color, but I still don't have any kelly green shoes (and I don't do colored purses)--I tend to gravitate toward a blue-green/teal color instead.


Red mixed media top (Nordstrom), $4.59/wear
Denim skirt (thrifted, Great Northwest Indigo), $0.36/wear
Black and white striped blazer (Nordstrom), $5.06/wear
Bright teal flats (Payless), $0.81/wear
Aqua/red fan necklace (Target), $1.32/wear

And of course I can't help adding a statement necklace to bring the shoes and top into greater coherence.  It's how I roll, casual Friday or no.


Note:  Despite the Hamburglar reference, I am not going to steal your french fries...or at least not very many.  French fries (being potato-based) are among the highest oxalate foods there are.  4 ounces of french fries (113 g, a McDonald's medium fries) contains 51 mg of oxalate--my entire daily ration!

If you're talking about a starkly graphic black-and-white pattern, you can't not mention the black broken mini rex.  With his short, springy, standing-up-straight fur, the black and white patches are very distinct, without the bleed-over effect of the black onto the white that rabbits with longer fur that lays flat against the body can exhibit.

My colors won't bleed in the laundry but let's not put that to the test, please.

In other news...About half a dozen times today, I thought it was Monday instead of Friday--I guess having had a sick day yesterday, going back to work today felt like starting a new week.  I even had a momentary confusion about it just now, when I should be luxuriating in the weekend. 

Or as close to luxuriating as it gets when your sinuses are making you a bit miserable.  I felt halfway decent at work today, but I think I used up most of my capacity for activity, even where "activity" is "sitting up in an office chair at a computer."  I think it's time for me to go lounge a while.  #Fridayflop

No comments: