Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Overheated

"Shrug...Meh"--Wednesday, 8/10/16

I wanted to put together an outfit incorporating my pink/beige shrug to either (1) get re-excited about its possibilities in my wardrobe or (2) give it a fanfare farewell.  This anniversary dinner date outfit was fancier than I wear to work but the basic floral dress + shrug concept seemed adaptable to my situation.

From shealennon.com

Enter surprisingly versatile sleeveless floral dress, my default summer nude wedges, and the necklace that I sort of have to make an effort to not just wear with everything.

And when I put the shrug on, it was decided meh.  The mottled color didn't work well with the graphic floral pattern of the dress, and I wasn't digging the curved hem on it.  Add to that the fact that it was always a little on the small side and I couldn't justify keeping it.  So that goes back to Goodwill.  I substituted my new-this-summer bright pink open weave cardigan and it was just perfect.


Coral/black floral dress (JNY), $4.14/wear
Beige/pink shrug (thrifted, 212 New York)
Bright pink-fuschia open weave cardigan (JCP), $3.06/wear
Gold tassel necklace (Kohls), $1.05/wear
Nude wedges by Cole Haan, $7.99/wear

Outfit total: $16.24/wear

I love how the cardigan and the bright pink flowers are precisely the same shade.  Makes my little matchy-matchy heart sing.


Another heart-singing thing...rabbits, of course.  Like this Himalayan with the pale grey nose (note that he matches my dress also, with the white flowers and grey vines).  The Himalayan coloring is controlled by the C genes--two recessive ch genes (aka cch1) gives you a white rabbit with color limited to the "points" and red eyes.  What's cool (hahahaha) about this is that the expression of the dark fur areas is dependent on the environment, specifically temperature.  The dark areas are at the rabbit's extremities because those are the cooler areas of the body; in the warmer areas, the production of melanin is blocked.  Check out this very short but very interesting animation with more info about how that works.


In other temperature-related news...It was only 85 F today but with lots of sun and oppressive humidity, it felt a lot hotter walking across parking lots at my building and at the off-site location of a 12-1:30 meeting.  (The heat index was in the upper 90s).  The (informal) presentation went fine, but I was kind of miserable when I got back to my office, which was already borderline too warm.  If you have to be exposed to massive heat in the middle of your work day, they could at least have the courtesy of giving you an over-air-conditioned office to return to, you know?

For some reason, I thought it was going to rain today and brought my umbrella into work.  (It was at least cloudy this morning when I arrived.)  By the time I left, the sun was ridiculous and I said to my office mate that perhaps I should use my otherwise-ludicrous umbrella as a parasol while walking to my car.  (I didn't, but I thought about it.)

Despite the heat, I was easily able to get the apartment cool enough this evening for us to exercise (while watching Murder in Paradise, as usual).  I've found that I like it when I turn down the temperature as soon as I get home, have dinner, and then around 6:30-7:00 start exercising.  I think I have more willpower then than I do even an hour or two later, and it makes me feel like I still have some of the evening left after we finish...because I actually do.

No comments: