Friday, April 1, 2016

Absolutely No Foolin'

The snow that didn't happen yesterday is back in the forecast for today and I don't think it's an April Fool's joke. But as they say, April snow showers bring May...wait, what? 

"Skinny Birds"--Friday, 4/1/16

In a post on ways to wear leopard flats, Bridgette features the exact same BP Moveover flats from Nordstrom that I own.  Obviously I can't resist a take on one of her suggestions ("with jeans and a basic top")...

From bridgetteraes.com

...though I did switch things up a bit, using a fuchsia T-shirt (needed for the Work the Wardrobe Challenge) and black and white cardigan.  And then when I put on my denim trousers, I remembered, Oh yeah, these are too long to wear with flats!  So I substituted my grey leopard wedges, thus making this outfit in almost no way related to the inspiration photo.


Fuchsia long-sleeved T (Walmart), $1.00/wear+
Denim trousers (thrifted, Boden), $2.62/wear
Black and white diamond cardigan (JNY), $11.50/wear
Grey leopard wedges by Cole Haan, $12.38/wear
Bright pink silk bird scarf (Nordstrom), $7.50/wear

Outfit total: $35.00/wear

And rather than wear a gold necklace, I obliterated any last vestige of resemblance to the original outfit by wearing a long silk scarf.


In mid-February, I had seen a blog post about how to make your look current this spring, and it recommended switching out your blanket scarf for a skinny scarf.  It usually takes me about 1.5-2 years to adjust to anything new, but since I already own and wear skinny scarves, it was easy to wear my fun bird scarf in an extra-skinny-looking and on-trend way. 

From pennypincherfashion.com

When I got dressed this morning, I noticed a small area on the front of the shirt (hidden by the scarf) was starting to fade, which isn't surprising given how this top was in heavy rotation for a few years before I started this blog.  It has served me well.  Time to purge--by which I mean "trash" in this case because I don't want an unsuspecting thrift store shopper to buy a shirt that's already fading enough to be borderline unwearable.  I note that this has happened at just about the time that I finally learned how to spell fuchsia reliably.

In other news...I've decided it's time to get going on the main quest line in Fallout again.  I'm kind of excited about it!  But I do have to get through this last work day of the week first, though.

I woke up this morning to a disturbing dream about pulling out, over a long period, an entire handful of some weird stretchy, slightly sticky chewing gum/rubber band-esque substance from the surface of a few teeth on the right side of my face.  When I finally got the last of it out, about 4-5 metal caps on my teeth became disturbingly loose, so I realized that the stretchy substance had been some kind of glue sticking these (mysterious) caps to my teeth.  I was very concerned about trying to get an emergency dentist appointment given that I had only a few hours before I had to be ready, in costume and all that, to appear in a Christmas pageant at work, and I knew my department head would be extremely angry if I was late or did not show up.

So the idea of just going to work today does seem easy in comparison.

Oh, and if you are looking for a fashion-related April Fool's post, you would be hard pressed to do better than Angie's "super suit" post.  My favorite line: "Some of my clients swear by the practicality of a reinforced toebox when it comes to resolving workplace conflicts."  I also appreciate the adorable dog photos.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I really like the bird scarf and it looks great with your outfit!

Sally said...

Thanks! I was happy with how it turned out.