Friday, April 8, 2016

Open Weave Simple Change

Yesterday I was home sick with body aches, headache, weakness, and generalized stupidity.  For example, I tried to brew myself some caffeinated tea and was very confused when it didn't work...until I realized that I hadn't boiled the water first (despite putting it in the electric kettle and leaving it there for a while).

But my outfit turned out cute!  Start with jeans, a nice looking knit top, and a pair of patterned ballet flats.  Then add and subtract (as your body temperature fluctuates over the course of the day) a coordinating striped cardigan and patterned scarf.  Easy peasy. 

But back to the work week already in progress...

"Paging Dr Leopard"--Friday, 4/8/16

I gravitated towards this inspiration photo because the "Bombay" scarf is the bomb.

From wearawishbone.com

I don't have that scarf, but I still liked the idea well enough to try mixing a grey striped top, black pants, orange patterned scarf, and leopard shoes.  And I threw on this new cardigan vest to sneak it in to the Work the Wardrobe Challenge, even though I think it will really come into its own as a summer piece.  I do think that the white vest with the black pants gives a bit of a "doctor in a lab coat" vibe here in this photo that is less pronounced when you can see I have arms with stripes on them. 


Grey striped top (Croft and Barrow/Kohls), $2.12/wear+
*White open weave cardigan vest (Kohls), $11.04/wear+
Black 5 pocket pants (thrifted, Rafaella), $0.42/wear
Black/blue/orange floral scarf (Kohls), $2.79/wear
Leopard smoking slippers by Clarks, $2.00/wear

Outfit total: $18.37/wear

This outfit turned out a bit under-warm for the weather.  We had snow today and it was cold enough in my office that I had to sit on my butt-warming heating pad for I think the first time this winter!  It feels a bit silly but man, does it ever do the trick.

Too bad my black-and-white did not have the effortless chic of this somewhat fuzzy Dutch.


In other news...I think this "one simple change" for organizing your stuff better is a good one.  I have stumbled on similar solutions here and there (e.g., I roll my cardigans when I store them in my chest of drawers) but I have not noticed this as an overarching strategy, nor have I used it nearly as consistently as I should (e.g., my pajama drawer is still organized in the traditional flat way, and it irritates me on a regular basis when I can't easily put hands on the pieces I want, but I have never thought to do anything about it).  I think I should spend a bit of time this weekend implementing this approach around my apartment.  Let's get vertical!

Or maybe I'll just play Fallout.  We'll see. :)

No comments: