Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Not Popular, Plus a Mini Rant

"A Different Lavender Brown"--Monday, 4/25/16

Today's Reverse Inspiration comes from stylist Bridgette Raes.

#1:  Here she shows lavender with a black dress (and to her broader point, brings in a pop of green, but let's ignore that for now).

From bridgetteraes.com

#2:  And in this post, she argues for pants that are just as versatile as black pants, such as the brown pants paired with lavender and purple in the right hand side of this layout.

From bridgetteraes.com

I think these two posts are converging on the idea that wearing a brown skirt and brown top (and brown leggings and brown boots) with a lavender quilted vest is a good one.


Brown long-sleeved T (Macy's), $3.66/wear
Brown corduroy skirt (thrifted, Walmart), $1.50/wear
Lavender quilted vest (thrifted, Van Heusen), $2.00/wear+ (!!!!!)
Brown leopard scarf (Kohls), $3.05/wear
Brown leggings
Tall brown boots by Fitzwell, $5.25/wear

Outfit total: $15.46/wear

And let us not forget the ubiquitous brown leopard scarf!


It was interesting to see how rare the brown + lavender color combination is.  The second photo was the only one I found with lavender and brown but I really like how they look together.  I guess the rest of the world is missing out on this good thing.  (Well, it wouldn't be the first time.)

And all this despite the fact that Lavender Brown was a character in Harry Potter (Ron's short-time girlfriend)!  But maybe she wasn't very popular.  And I cannot see any evidence that she wore lavender and brown together.  I guess with a name like that you have to be careful.  My name and status as a free American give me the liberty and confidence to wear whatever color combinations I want...or something.

Even if it is utterly ridiculous for the recent weather.  Reaching 70 F in mid-April?!?!  This is wrong, I tell you, WRONG!

We disapprove of this inappropriately spring-like weather in...well, spring.  But still.


I had actually been despairing that I wouldn't have a chance to wear this outfit and thus would miss out the lavender vest on the Work the Wardrobe Challenge--the weekends have been so warm for so many weeks (and it's warmer in my apartment than it is at work).  But when I saw a high of 50 F and raining on the forecast for Monday, I thought, What the hell, I could wear this outfit to work, right?  I mean, yeah, it's strongly on the casual side of business casual but I don't have any meetings or anything--I'm just going to be sitting at my desk churning out some quarterly reports.

Well that was Saturday.

Then I checked the forecast again Sunday night and we were back up to 67 F for a high on Monday.  WTF, people.  But Wednesday looked not quite so bad, highs in the low 50s F and raining, so I tried it today...even though I did have a meeting.  What I won't do for the WtWC. It turned out to be quite appropriate for the weather.

I swear that Robert and I have seen near 20 degree F shifts in the forecast within a couple of hours on Weather Underground.  He has asked, 'Why do the forecasts change so much so quickly?  Do they have multiple meteorologists updating the forecast back and forth with their own predictions like the site is Wikipedia or something?'  It's a good question.  All I know is that I find it very annoying, how it fucks up my planning.  THUMP.

No comments: