Friday, April 22, 2016

Finally Friday

"Naval Piping"--Friday, 4/22/16

If you haven't already learned more than you ever wanted to know about the Breton shirt (aka matelot), Bridgette goes into the background more in this article.  Meanwhile she put together an outfit that is essentially perfect.

From bridgetteraes.com

This is a great time to wear my funny red fish scarf (needed for the Work the Wardrobe Challenge).  This was one of the scarves from the Vera Neumann collaboration with Target in 2013 (which also included the white/green/blue floral/paisley scarf that I've worn a lot).  (I just learned all this from google--I did not know anything about the collaboration or Vera Neumann when I bought the scarves, I just thought they were cute.)


Navy striped short-sleeved knit top (St Johns Bay/JCP), $4.00/wear
Navy tipped blazer (thrifted, Nordstrom), $6.00/wear
Red fish scarf (Target), $1.71/wear+
Straight leg jeans (thrifted, Bandolinoblu), $0.18/wear
Red buckle flats by Me Too, $2.55/wear

Outfit total: $14.44/wear

Perhaps I improved a bit on perfection (according to my personal criteria) by adding this subtly tipped blazer (navy blazer with black piping).  Stripes + tipped blazer + animal print (if a kind of non-standard one in this case) = a good thing going.


In the navy, a pipe (aka boatswain's call aka bosun's pipe) with a high pitch that could be heard over the sounds of the crew and sea was used in the place of many verbal commands.  I think the specific naval piping of this outfit is "Sweepers"--not only does it signify the end of the work day, it's the end of the work week!

In other news...An article about the manologue from the New York Times.  And in related news, this.

2 comments:

mom said...

Sally, your Dad won't just answer the question I ask, I get a lecture on everything about it without answering the question. It drives me nuts!

Sally said...

I guess you're in good (unfortunate) company. :/