Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Fit-KITT to Fitbit

Better In My Head--Wednesday, 4/20/16

I like this sleeveless cardigan but it's a bit of a hard shape to wear--i.e., a big square with holes for your arms and a slit down the front to get it on.  I thought I would try it with a white shirt and my bright teal skirt.


Green/grey sleeveless cardigan (JNY), $4.41/wear
White long-sleeved V neck T (Lands End), $1.33/wear
Bright teal skirt (JCP), $1.95/wear
Grey leggings
Tall grey boots by Fitzwell, $8.33/wear
Black/teal/purple chevron scarf, $3.07/wear

Outfit total: $19.09/wear

I don't hate the result, but I think the cardigan looks a lot better with a grey shirt instead.  Oh well, now I know.  At least adding the scarf with white in the print helps make the white top look a little bit less out of place.

So, today was supposed to be the last day of the Work the Wardrobe Challenge, but due to some unexpected travel (Superbaby, I love you!!!) and illness and fucked up warm weather (though I am getting lucky with a few days of low 60s and rain this week), I still have several planned outfits left from the Challenge.  Because I am the boss of me, I have decided to extend it through the end of the month.  Ending on the last day of the month also is just more satisfying somehow than ending on the 19th.  I'm looking forward to some analysis and reporting next month on how the WtWC went.

In other news... I want to love my Fitbit, but we've been on a rocky road the last few months.  It seems so very, very easy for it to get screwed up.  Lately it's been in this non-working mode with racing lights on the front that reminded me of Cylons from Battlestar Galactica and Robert of the car on Knight Rider.  (Seriously, check out that Knight Rider video--those were the days, eh?)  When Robert mentioned Knight Rider, I was like, Oh yeah, KITT!  And thus I christened it with the not-affectionate nickname "Fit-KITT." 

It's so wrong because when Cylons and KITT have the light moving back and forth, it indicates that they are intelligent machines primed to do their job (i.e., kick all kinds of ass).  But when the Fitbit is in that mode, it's got nada going on.

I have spent way more hours than I would like going through what seems like a never-ending series of help articles on the Fitbit website, about 8000 of which address what to try when your Fitbit Flex is kaput, and you are sent from one to the next to the next, trying the same things over and over in different orders.  So frustrating!

And is there any fucking reason that the help article called "What do the light patterns mean on my Flex?" does NOT include any information whatsoever about the racing Cylon/KITT light pattern?  I mean, isn't one of the main reasons a person would click on that article that the Fitbit isn't working and all you know is it has this particular light pattern on it?  I actually never found a reference to that in the help pages, but Robert found a user manual (not through the Fitbit site but from Google) that mentioned it.  The fix described therein didn't work, of course, but at least it was acknowledged.

So I spent a couple more hours and managed to get the thing out of Fit-KITT mode!  It still took me several attempts to get it to sync but I finally decided that the adjustments I had to make to my computer in order to play Fallout, which means that I can't download photos from my camera and other little things like that, probably also have made it impossible to sync my Fitbit.  Luckily I was able to get the app on my phone to sync.

This has been very frustrating for me, given that my patience level dealing with any kind of non-working piece of mechanics or electronics is a 1.5 on a 10 point scale.

Let's hope that I can enjoy some weeks of uninterrupted data collection/positive health behavior influence out of this thing before it goes all Fit-KITT on me again!

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

I think my Flex got into that state at one point and it needed to be reset. Tapping does take practice, and I've found that clapping (like if you go to live theater) can put it in and out of sleep mode. Auto-sleep tracking is great but you can't track your time to fall asleep if you use that since the device doesn't know when you when to bed. I will say that the customer support channels are responsive, so if you can't find the info definitely let them know!

Sally said...

Thanks, I will let them know about the "what do the lights mean" page--that was my biggest frustration. My tapping last night and this morning were better so I got it in and out of sleep mode easily. Who knew there was a learning curve? ;)