Saturday, April 23, 2016

Flowery Bad-Ass

"Orchid Floral Overlord"--Saturday, 4/23/16

I was introduced to this blogger's "bold and feminine" style by Angie Cox, and I enjoyed her mixing a statement pastel floral jacket with a black and white top.

From mycurlsandcurves.com

My version features a floral jacket in neutral colors but a standout silhouette.  (Hers: no collar.  Mine: gigantic collar.  It all averages out, right?)  In the place of neon yellow shoes, I went with these orchid flats that I love but do not wear often enough.  I won't say that a pop of saturated pastels is always welcome, but it definitely has a way of jazzing up a neutral ensemble.


White blazer with grey/black floral print (Coldwater Creek), $5.00/wear
Black ankle pants (thrifted, Eileen Fisher), $1.15/wear
Black polka dot knit top (Liz Claiborne/JCP), $6.25/wear
Orchid flats by Born, $1.92/wear
Silver chain link necklace (gift from Mom)

Outfit total: $14.32

In other news...For weeks now I have had "Certain People I Could Name" by They Might Be Giants stuck in my head.  (This is an amusing cartoon video of it.)  Appropriately, about halfway through the song, the lyrics go:

"Halfway through the 30 minutes, halfway round the world
Comes the story of the genocidal overlord"

It's odd.  There are songs in which certain lyrics have always eluded me, songs where I regularly forget snatches of lyrics, songs where I have misunderstood the lyrics all along...but this one is different.  I am absolutely 100% sure at all times that the line says "genocidal overlord" but when I hear it in my head, some other adjective is substituted.  Lately I've been hearing a lot of "charismatic overlord" and "enigmatic overlord" with the occasional "homicidal overlord" or even "suicidal overlord" thrown in.

But given that it's a TMBG song, shouldn't it be "trapezoidal overlord"?  After all, who else has a chance to beat Triangle Man in a fight?

Of course, given all my Fallout playing, maybe it should be "Super Mutant Overlord"!  I can just hear Three Dog regaling his radio audience with such a tale.  ("Listen up, children!")

Super Mutant Overlord from fallout.wikia.com

But today's outfit definitely has an Orchid Floral Overlord feeling to it.  I mean, floral blazer + "orchid" ballet flats?  That's perfect, right?  And don't worry, I can still rock a tri-beam laser rifle in this getup, killing super mutant overlords so I can use their weapons for spare parts.  (Because even Three Dog, stuck in his radio studio, knows the importance of regular weapon maintenance.)

I did shoot some super mutants today (though not an overlord) but mostly I was fighting the Enclave, a bunch of tech-savvy authoritarian assholes.  I finished the main quest line of the game and am about halfway through the DLC (downloadable content) that occurs at the end of the main quest line.  Once I finish that (which is maybe a couple hours more playtime), I will need to decide if I want to finish the alien ship DLC.  And then I'll be done with this game!

What will life after Fallout 3 be like?  Well, I do have Fallout New Vegas downloaded to play...

2 comments:

Tam said...

I had completely forgotten the existence of that song, so thank you. Even with the title and lyrics in your post, I had to go listen to it to recover it. Wow.

I'll paraphrase for you a question that Mosch's ex Sylvia once asked me, in reference to a dream in which I saw things in a microscope: What part of you is the charismatic/enigmatic/homicidal overlord?

Sally said...

Does this make up a little bit for The Kid With the Butterfly Net? :)

To answer Sylvia's question: I don't think I have much of the charismatic or enigmatic about me at all. The homicidal overlord is probably just another name for my inner Hulk.